For every problem there is a solution

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by Aquarius123, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Aquarius123

Aquarius123 Well-Known Member

THE TALE OF THE TWO PEBBLES

FOR EVERY PROBLEM THERE IS A SOLUTION​

Many years ago in a small Chinese village, a farmer had the misfortune of owing a large sum of money to the village moneylender, an old and ugly man who fancied his beautiful daughter. When the farmer fell behind with his payments, the lender called in the loan and demanded that the whole remaining sum should be paid at once. As the farmer could not possibly do this, the lender proposed that if he could marry the farmer’s daughter, he would consider the debt as paid in full.

The farmer and his daughter were horrified. So, the cunning lender suggested that providence should decide the matter for them in the following manner: he would put a black pebble and a white pebble into an empty money bag. The girl then would have to pick one pebble from the bag.

• If she picked the black pebble, she would become his wife and her father’s debt would be paid in full.
    • If she picked the white pebble she did not need to marry him, but her father’s debt would still be fully redeemed.
    • If she refused to pick a pebble, her father would be thrown into jail.

Discussing this, the three people were standing on a pebble strewn path in the farmer’s field. Whilst explaining his proposition, the moneylender bent over and picked up two pebbles. But, as the girl was sharp-eyed, she noticed that the lender picked up two black pebbles. Putting them into his bag, he turned to her and asked her to pick one of the pebbles from his bag.

The situation is a dire one. Imagine you are the daughter. What are you going to do? Or if you had to advise her, what would you tell her? It seems she has three options:

• She refuses to take a pebble.
    • She shows that there were two black pebbles in the bag and exposes the money-lender as a cheat,
    • She picks one of the black pebbles and sacrifices herself to release her father from his debt and save him from imprisonment.

Clearly, the girl’s dilemma cannot be solved by traditional logical thinking. Think of the consequences if she chooses one of the above logical choices. The story is intended to help us appreciate the difference between lateral and logical thinking. So, let’s ponder on it for a moment. What would you recommend the girl should do?

This is what she did: putting her hand into the moneybag, she drew out a pebble without looking at it. For a second she fumbled with it and then dropped it onto the pebble-strewn path, where it immediately became lost among all the other pebbles. ‘Oh, how clumsy of me!’ she exclaimed. ‘Please, forgive me. Never mind though! If you look into your bag for the remaining pebble, you will be able to tell which one I picked.’ Because it was black, if the deal had been an honest one, it would have been safe to assume that she had actually picked the white pebble. The girl was aware that, to save his face, the moneylender could not possibly admit his dishonesty. And this is how the girl changed an apparently impossible situation into a highly advantageous one.

The tale of the two pebbles is a well known one. I have merely retold it in my own words and added some of my observations to it. To my mind, it belongs to the realm of fables and is an allegory to demonstrate how solutions can always be found, even for the most complex problems and situations, if only we are willing to pay attention to the guidance that comes from within. It is there for each one of us at all times, ready and waiting to show us the way. No matter how learned our earthly self believes itself to be, true wisdom has its origin in the wise one within, i.e. the intuitive knowledge who has the answer to all our questions and a solutions for all our problems.

So, let’s start each new day with this positive thought and rest safely in the knowledge that by listening within we shall always find our way. Have a fruitful day and may each day, week, month and year that remains of your present lifetime be filled with positive thinking and sound decisions.

And may the living God inside us grant all of us the wisdom of thinking outside the boxes of our world.

From ‘Relationship Healing’

With love and light,
    Aquarius​

2. Aquarius123

At times of great struggle

AT TIMES OF GREAT STRUGGLE
    When the world pushes us to our knees,
    We are in the best position for praying.
    Happiness does not consist of living in a world
    Where everything is already perfect.
    True happiness is the ability to look
    Beyond the imperfections and the end of our noses,
    Because we can then perceive the perfected self that
    Dwells within everybody.
    Finding it and bringing it forth is every soul’s
    Highest potential and birthright.

Anon.
    Edited by Aquarius

:hug:

3. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

I really enjoyed reading this aquaris. Thankyou. Nice to read options beyond our standar way of thinking. Nice to be reminded that when things feel limited, perhaps were just not seeing another option.

Ive always liked this way of feeling. Sometimes we get so enwrapped in ourselves we forget about life outside of us, and that it too is just like us. I did.. was a really nice read this morning thankyou for posting x

4. Aquarius123

The Tale of the Butterfly

Thank you for your feedback, dear Axiom. I hope you’ll enjoy this too:

THE TALE OF THE BUTTERFLY

Once upon a time, by the side of a dusty road in India sat an old beggar who was selling cocoons. He noticed that a young boy was watching for many days. Finally, the beggar beckoned to him and asked: ‘Have you any idea of what beauty lies within my cocoons?’ When the boy shook his head, the old man continued: ‘It is the home of a beautiful butterfly. I will give you one of my cocoons, so you can find out for yourself. But you must be careful with it and not handle it until the butterfly emerges.’

The boy was enchanted with his gift and hurried home to await the emergence of the butterfly. He laid the cocoon on the floor. Watching it, he became aware of a curious thing. The butterfly seemed to be beating its wings against the hard outer shell of its chrysalis. ‘The butterfly will surely perish before it can break free from its unyielding prison,’ the boy thought. ‘I have to help the poor creature!’

When he pried the cocoon open, out flopped a soggy brown and ugly thing that quickly died. After a while, the boy met the beggar again and told him what had happened. ‘Ah yes,’ the old man said: ‘It is necessary for the creature to beat its growing wings against the walls of its cocoon, until they have grown strong enough to support the butterfly, when it finally emerges into the light of day. Through its struggling alone can the butterfly’s wings become beautifully strong and durable enough to carry and support it. When this is denied to the creature, it dies because its only chance of survival has been destroyed.’

The butterfly is a symbol of transformation, because the life cycle of each one of them represents a microcosm of the macrocosm of humankind’s individual and collective evolutionary pathway. May the walls of everyone’s cocoon be just thick enough – and no more – to support us all in our struggle of breaking free from the entrapment of the cocoon of false beliefs and prejudices about our true nature that have kept us bound to the Earth plane for such a long take. May we all at long last take to our spiritual wings to aid our flight of growing and evolving into the beautiful beings we are truly meant to be.

Anon
    Edited by Aquarius

With love and light,
    Aquarius ​

5. the masked depressant

the masked depressant Well-Known Member

thanks for sharing this.

i've not read it before- but it really is encouraging

6. Aquarius123

Peace Prayer

It's good to know that you enjoyed it and thank you for letting me know, dear Friend.

PEACE PRAYER
    I wish you warmth – in a world that has grown cold;
    I wish you joy – for all your days,
    To soothe your own sorrow and that of others;
    I wish you wonder and a growing awareness that
    The Glory and the love of our Creator
    Manifests in all beings, places and things.

I wish you a sense of humour and the gift of smiling,
    For they help to overcome our own fears and those of others;
    I wish you silence,
    In which to recognise the Will of our Creator
    Who loves us and lives within each one of us,
    As it reveals itself in you and your life.

I wish for peace in our world, within and without.
    May it flow from the heart-mind of God
    Into the farthest, remotest corners of our world,
    To bless and heal us all.
    May God’s Wisdom and Truth shine into every heart,
    The only place where truth is known.

I wish that the creative fire, the ideas from God’s heart,
    Lighten and warm everybody’s days,
    So that Its dreams and visions can come true,
    Through us and our world, and all worlds.
    I wish for a renewal of faith in our world,
    So that we may walk holding the hands
    Of those who are frightened and in pain.
    May God’s strength work through each and every one,
    So that we all can share it.

I wish for the renewal of hope and faith and trust in our world,
    So that all together we may ascend to the heights of Divine compassion;
    I wish for God’s love to flow into every heart and soul,
    So that we may all walk together hand in hand,
    As one big family, peacefully and forever united.
    With all my heart and all my soul and all my being,
    I wish for peace, harmony, and healing
    To come to our inner and outer world, and all worlds.

I know that it still is a dream, but one that can come true,
    As much as anything, through me and through you,
    For when God’s love dwells again
    In the heart and soul of humankind,
    All things shall be possible.
    Amen

Peace be with you.

From ‘Words & Prayers of Comfort & Healing’

With love and light,
    Aquarius

:hug:​

7. Aquarius123

The Tale of the Butterfly

THE TALE OF THE BUTTERFLY​

Once upon a time, by the side of a dusty road in India sat an old beggar who was selling cocoons. He noticed that a young boy was watching for many days. Finally, the beggar beckoned to him and asked: ‘Have you any idea of what beauty lies within my cocoons?’ When the boy shook his head, the old man continued: ‘It is the home of a beautiful butterfly. I will give you one of my cocoons, so you can find out for yourself. But you must be careful with it and not handle it until the butterfly emerges.’

The boy was enchanted with his gift and hurried home to await the emergence of the butterfly. He laid the cocoon on the floor. Watching it, he became aware of a curious thing. The butterfly seemed to be beating its wings against the hard outer shell of its chrysalis. ‘The butterfly will surely perish before it can break free from its unyielding prison,’ the boy thought. ‘I have to help the poor creature!’

When he pried the cocoon open, out flopped a soggy brown and ugly thing that quickly died. After a while, the boy met the beggar again and told him what had happened. ‘Ah yes,’ the old man said: ‘It is necessary for the creature to beat its growing wings against the walls of its cocoon, until they have grown strong enough to support the butterfly, when it finally emerges into the light of day. Through its struggling alone can the butterfly’s wings become beautifully strong and durable enough to carry and support it. When this is denied to the creature, it dies because its only chance of survival has been destroyed.’

The butterfly is a symbol of transformation, because the life cycle of each one of them represents a microcosm of the macrocosm of humankind’s individual and collective evolutionary pathway. May the walls of everyone’s cocoon be just thick enough – and no more – to support us all in our struggle of breaking free from the entrapment of the cocoon of false beliefs and prejudices about our true nature that have kept us bound to the Earth plane for such a long take. May we all at long last take to our spiritual wings to aid our flight of growing and evolving into the beautiful beings we are truly meant to be.

With love and light,
    Aquarius ​