For the bipolar: Help! How do you cope with mood cycling?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by sollepus, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sollepus

sollepus Active Member

So, I'm dealing with med adjustments, because a few weeks ago, my brain decided to crash and burn and my moods were cycling several times in an hour.

I couldn't predict from minute to minute whether I would be okay, crying or having a panic attack.

My doc is adjusting my medication, and though I'm getting better, the dosages still aren't quite right and I'm having some pretty massive episodes of mood cycling (less than a few weeks ago, but still awful).

Currently, I do yoga, journal, go to therapy, read, etc.

I'm just looking for some ideas, because this is driving me nuts since I have almost zero control over it. Thanks!
  2. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Friend and Antiquities Friend Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Med adjustments are tough. I've been through many myself.

One thing I've found helpful is any kind of art. You don't have to be an artist. I have a collection of coloring books and everything possible to color with. Sometimes I just print simple kids coloring pages off the web.

Art in any form puts the brain in a different place.

Just a suggestion, hope you feel better.
  3. tinker22fly

tinker22fly Member

i have the same problem :( the smallest thing can make me cry n when i get angry/upset i get a firey ball in my stomache/chest of anger and emotion n i just cnt cope with it. It feels like i need to rip it out to be okay. My boyfriends the only one that knows about that bit n he looks at me wierd when i explain. Id love to know if anyone felt this way also? I went to the gym recently and tried a new class, body combat, a mixture of kicks and punches. It helps me to relieve sum stress, also just a walk to clear things is good. If summit sets you off take the dog out for a walk, or walk to a far shop for a pint of milk. I guess it depends on if u need something soothing or full on
  4. tinker22fly

tinker22fly Member

oh and if you do decide to go for a walk, whilst thinking things over in your head dont pull funny faces like i do lol u may get some sttange looks :)
  5. twofeet

twofeet Well-Known Member

I like the idea of the coloring books. It helps to think of the "disorder" not on a timeline where one side is all shit and the other is all sunshine. It's more like a palette full of colors to work with. Choose your color du jour and work it around with some other shades.
  6. BlueHermit

BlueHermit Member

I don't really cope. If I'm up into the "normal" or hypomanic range (rarely), I try to get something done. Whether that something is productive or just temporarily satisfying depends on my environment and the external demands upon my energies.

When I'm down far enough, I just crawl into my cave and only emerge when the body insists.

Meds are great, for those that they serve well. I'm not yet well served...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.