For those of you who have survived an OD... please answer..

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by arhcie, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arhcie

arhcie Account Closed

I plan on OD'ing in a few days time, and I'm gonna do my best to make sure nobody finds me (I'm going to do it in the middle of a field in the middle of the night, and I'm gonna make sure I don't take my phone so I can't phone for help in case I start panicking), but I have a question about being in hospital during the aftermath, just in case I do survive..

I've read that you can expect to be in a hospital bed for a few days... but I'm just wondering how do you get washed? How do you poop and pee? Are you able to use the toilet or do you just poop and pee yourself while unconscious? And do the nurses bathe you? I'm a really private person, and even though it's highly unlikely anyone will find me, there's always a chance, you know.. and the thought of being in hospital terrifies me.
  2. whoaaxxsamm

whoaaxxsamm Well-Known Member

I really hope you don't go through with it.
    Think about this because I HAVE OD'ed three times in the past.
    I'm still here, even when I thought I wouldn't be.
    It caused more misery, than anything else.
    It is one of the most painful feelings in the world.
    I actually did the whole field thing; very horrifying.
    Please think about what you are planning.
    It will hurt so many people, as well as yourself.
    I was in the hospital three times, the doctors don't always care when someone is trying to take their own lives. It's sort of sad.
    Please, we care about everyone here on SF.
    I wish you the best of luck, please, please, think about what you are doing.
  3. flowingriver

flowingriver Well-Known Member

Arhcie, please don't hurt yourself. Tell us why you are feeling this way.
  4. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

Please don't hurt yourself. Things can get better. And they WILL you just have to give them a chance. Please stay here and talk to us and not go to that field! Can you call someone to come help you? Like to get you into the hospital (not medical)? Maybe that could help. You would have a safe environment for a while and they could really get to the bottom of why you are feeling suicidal. Hang in there! :hug: Im here if you need someone to talk with.
  5. boo

boo Well-Known Member

They will probably pump your stomach, make you drink ink or that charcoal stuff. I'm not trying to encourage you here, but unless you have the right stuff, don't bother overdosing. You'll have more chance getting a liver damage than anything.
  6. Tavi6233

Tavi6233 Member

I have overdosed 5 times, and I'm still here, no clue how. Anyway, don't try it, its really not worth it. You think that you will just take a few pills then slip away, but usually you wake up in the emergency room with a tube up your nose, or they intubate you and you wake up with a tube stuck down your throat and strapped to the bed so you can't pull it out. There was one time where I was unconscious for 3 days, in that case the nurse will be giving you a sponge bath every day, they will let you go to the bathroom on yourself (they will usually stick a heavy pad under you), then they will check you every 2 hours to see if you soiled yourself so they can clean you. I also use to work as a nurses aid, so I know a bit about this. There is by no means any privacy or dignity in over dosing. Like I said, you really shouldn't do it, its just not the simple way out you would expect.
  7. arhcie

arhcie Account Closed

Thanks everyone, and thanks Tavi for answering my question.

I didn't come here to be talked out of this. I appreciate your kind words but I'm going through with this. I'm not afraid of dying, nor am I even upset about it. I do not want to live anymore. I know it will upset the people who love me, but I can't live like this.. nothing can help me. I'm leaving a note for my family explaining that it's not their fault and there was nothing they could have done to stop me, so they shouldn't blame themselves.
  8. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

I hope you change your mind or least take your phone with you, you may survive and be left in agony or change your mind and want some help etc. Best wishes
  9. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I hope you change your mind Archie....

My son left us a suicide note .

He hoped we'd have a fantastic life !!!!!!!!!!

My life is over now...tha's why I'm here on SF..
    my whole family has collapsed...

there is nothing that he could've said that will take the feeling of blame and guilt away from me.....

please think of those you will leave behind in the same pain you are feeling now.
  10. Paigeee

Paigeee Member

This is so true, I've OD'ed twice and it's not a good experience, I just wanted to get out of this world but things will get better I promise, get help, please. x
  11. liveinhope

liveinhope Well-Known Member

Often when we contemplate suicide it represents the end of the pain, of the life we have found ourselves living and more often than not through no fault of our own, but just for one moment stop and take a few minutes of your time to read this.
    I have taken several overdoses the last 2 very nearly killed me.I spent time in the intensive care unit, a tube down my throat breathing for me, when I woke up I was told that the Drs had tried to take me of life support several times, but I was unable to support my respiritory functions and they had to put me back on. The point being that my family were confused sad but confused and in the midst of that anguish they were having to hear at regular intervals "she cant sustain her vital signs without life support" would I live or would I die? that for me was painless, the act of overdosing was painless, but when I finally could breath on my own and I had to face my family that was when the pain of the aftermath, of survivng started, I had to look at their faces, as young adults they looked old, worn and tired, how was I even going to try to explain?, having woken up its not home you go, I was in a mental health ward for 6 weeks , initially on 10min checks, in plain terms suicide watch, at a time you want to be alone your space is violated and every 10 minutes. So then home, will it all be ok No. I lasted 5 days and was back in, I couldnt cope with the anguish and pain I had caused those I love so much. So eventually home, well sort of , but then therapy starts and is long long term and all this time, even now a year on its no easier, I still have to look into their eyes, I still see confusion at times, I also see pain and saddness, its not an option hun. There are very good therapist out there, it may be you need to look for the person for you, as a closing point once you have attempted to take your life , you loose fear, we are all afraid of the unknown, but having been so close to death it goes and this means you are more likely to try again and again and one day probably die, you think its what you want, but its a reaction to what your feeling, there is a difference, please try and get some help hun, its there please go look for it, why die when you could have had a chance to turn things around, death is always an option, life is there just once.
    Best Wishes
  12. Jace

Jace Active Member

If you survive you will be monitored 24/7, somebody will always be watching you while you are in the hospital. If you are conscious you have to keep the door open while you use the restroom, and they will be standing there listening for anything unusual. They will pump your stomach, give you activated charcoal in the hopes that you haven't got it all in your system yet. If they know you've taken a certain medicine like tylenol they will give you the antidote for it, it takes 2-3 days for all of it to be administered. Then you will have your liver, and anything else that may have been effected tested. If any of them are damaged expect to be in there for much longer. Then after they clear you medically they will get social workers in to see you, and they will more than likely put you into some ward. Where you will stay for 1-3 weeks in most cases.

But I'm not sure what the routine is if you're in some sort of coma.
  13. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

With doing it so no one will find you, eventually someone will find you. My daughter was found 7 days later, the funeral place would not even let me see her due to decompsure.
  14. bluepotatoe

bluepotatoe Active Member

ODing on pills have been overly romanticized...really hard to be successful, you can suffer from permanent organ and/or brain damage if you survive. It's an incredibly slow and painful process, almost not worth trying if you want to die.

When I tried, it was too late for a stomach pump or charcoal drinking, they had to "clean" my blood by injecting something in my veins every few hours. It hurt like hell, I remember wanting to cut my arms off.

I will never try to OD again, my heath hasn't been the same.
  15. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. Over the counter meds will never kill you. And if it does, it will be an agonizing death that can stretch over days if not week. Not to mention your body's self defense will probably make you puke all the pills out.
  16. Black Beauty

Black Beauty Well-Known Member

Hey, at least tell us why you don't want to be talked out of it. Have you written a suicide note? If so, can you post it here for us to review? You never know, maybe there's something worth living for and it'd be a shame to miss out on the opportunity to have your mind changed.
  17. opnwhl4

opnwhl4 New Member

This is gonna be long.....
    I tried twice with otc pills. First time they made me drink activated charcoal and then I had to drink some awful sulfur smelling stuff every 4 or 6 hours until my tylenol levels were down. Stayed 1 day in ICU and 1 day in a regular room. Lied to the psychologist and got to go home. I was back again 5 days later in much worse shape this time. Didn't tell anyone ahead of time and waited until I was at home alone. By the time my wife figured it out, because I couldn't take the pain anymore and told her...ok I also decided I didn't want to die yet. Things were very different this time around.
    Don't remember the car ride in and barely remember stumbling into the ER and falling down. Woke up on a bed to both arms being jabbed and stuck to try and get IVs going. I was so dehydrated they blew through 4 veins before getting one good one. Finally got 2 in one arm. Then came the usual "why did you do this to yourself" from the ER doc.
    Since there was now way it was still in my stomach they had to use IV meds only. I waited it out almost 13 hours before going to the hopsital. Oh and another tid bit... I CAN"T physically vomit. Due to a surgery I have had the stomach contents will not come up. But boy did I try! They also only give you so much meds for nausea and dry heaves and when its all used up they tell you NO!
    I have to admit the deep arterial gas sticks were very painful. I had 6 on one side and one on the other. After 6 hours in the ER I was moved to ICU again and had the same nurse and same room. She wasn't impressed AT ALL. After i was all situated there and had unsuccessfully answered her questions and listened to her scold me, which was very deserved. I finally got to get something to drink. Took 2 normal drinks and the dry heaves started all over, but guess who had had his limit of anti nausea meds...ME! So I had to dry heave for another 1.5 hours before the doctor let me have anything for it. Now that was a good time.
    Finally get to see my wife and daughter again, but I was so exhausted they left so I could try to sleep. They left at 10:30pm and I get a new visitor at 10:45pm, a very good friend who had done almost the same thig several years ago and whom I had promised after my first try I would call her if I got bad again. Once again another person who was not very impressed.
    After a night and most of the next day in ICU my tylenol level was below normal and I thought I was going to a regular room again. Nope, in comes the same psychologist as the week before and tells me we can do this the easy way or hard way. I can either check myself into the psych ward or I will be sent there by court order, my choice. I took the easy road this time.
    Spent a week there and met some very interesting individuals. Don't care to ever go through that pain again, don't care to go to the psych ward again, and don't want to put that stain on my family again either. My 19 y/o son has started to acknowledge my presence now after a month, but still won't hold a conversation with me yet. My therapist says he will when he is ready. I hope he does.
    Now I can't say for sure if OTC pills will kill you or not, but I know taking an excessive dose can cause you some very bad physical pain and cause those who love you way more agony and pain than they ever deserve.
  18. tranceadikd

tranceadikd Member

having survived a what is classified as a proper cocktail OD recently (only coz i got medically rescued) to pee n shit they put a cathida in, yes the nurse washes you. I was in ICU for 5 day. And psych ward for 3 weeks.
    and yes if u dont have the right stufff seriously dont bother. Its not worth it because u'l most likely end up in a looney bin
    And NO OTC pills will work by themselves... you WILL just stuff urself up

Need anyone to talk to im here
  19. callen202

callen202 New Member

Things may look bleak but death is not the answer. It takes more courage to live than die. Seek out help because help is out there. I too have been diagnosed with depression and suicidal thoughts but I've learned the truth that There is hope and you have a purpose.
  20. Um...

When I went I was in and out of concsiousness for three days... and I tell you there is nothing scarier than knowing that these paramedics and doctors and staff know that I won't know what they did to me.

Yeah. I said it. Hospitals operate like factories. There is no heart in a factory worker, they're paid to leave that behind.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.