For those who believe in reincarnation

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Hae-Gi, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

When was the first time you thought of it and was there anything special that made you come to this conclusion?

I was eight or nine when I first thought of it. I had never heard of it before; I came to think of it by myself. My mother had bought me a bird book and I became completely fascinated with birds. I had it with me in school and often used to stay inside during the breaks and look in that book. I started thinking of which one of the birds I would become in my next life, but my book was very simple so there was no bird that was good enough. One day I found that my parents had a bird book with hundreds of birds in it so I started going through it thoroughly and eventually found a bird that was really beautiful; all black and with a long, hummingbird-like beak. However, I soon found out that it ate insects, which disgusted me, so I started looking at eagles, instead, but they just weren't the same; not fantasy-like as the other bird... so my interest in becoming a bird in my next life soon died and I guess I stopped thinking much about reincarnation for some years. Today I don't believe you can become an animal in your next life - that is, in the next life you will have if you do not manage to reach the end of your reincarnation cycle.

So, what about you? What's your story and at what time in your life did it happen?
  2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I never believed in reincarnation and still don't so I never gave it a moment's thought.
  3. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

If we reincarnate, is there a waiting room? Population figures vary a great deal, both in humans and in other animals.

Also, where is the celestial bureaucracy keeping track of everyone and getting them to their new life? How did such a system get devised, and by whom? Why would they want this system over a simple live/die system? Does the entity responsible die? If there is no responsible entity, how did this develop naturally?

So far Occam's razor favours science's explanation. I look forward to your rebuttal.
  4. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

I didn't start this thread for a discussion in which no one will change their mind, anyway. This thread is only for those who already believe in it. If you are not part of those who believe then you shouldn't post in this thread.
  5. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

I misconstrued. *Makes new thread*
  6. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

I don't believe in it but I want to believe in it. I've thought about how I could get another chance in life already even though I'm so "young." Reincarnation and karma is the only reason that seems to fit why I was given all of these problems... so I guess I do believe in it to a certain extent.
  7. Samsara

Samsara Well-Known Member

I just always figured it doesn't make sense for someone to simply "die," otherwise there would be no rhyme and reason to sentient life.
  8. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Wait a minute! First you say you thought you'd become a bird because your mom bought you a bird book, then at the end you say you don't believe you can become an animal. So what do you become?

Also, what if your mother bought you a book on ice cream. Would you have preferred a particular flavor?
  9. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

What are you on about? :rolleyes: I was eight or nine at the time. How much more do you ask of a child? And I believe you become an "intellectual" being, but at the same time, many humans are incredibly stupid - especially in cases of retardation and such - so it isn't something I am certain about at all. However, something I am entirely certain about is that when you are at the end of your reincarnation cycle, you can only be an intellectual being. In other words, people that are too stupid have to reincarnate at least one more time.

The ice cream question is incredibly silly. Are you serious?
  10. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I was an atheist for a long time, disregarding all spiritual principles until a couple of years ago when I started looking for answers.
    It started out with conspiracy theories and I eventually came to feel that there was more to the world than our five senses can give us.
    It was a couple years ago probably that I was introduced to the idea and it rang true with me, and fell in line with my belief that we are eternal.
  11. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Hae Gi: Yeah, I'm saying it seems you started to think about it, then your mom bougt you a bird book, so you started to think which bird you would be. So I'm saying that what if it was a different book, ok so ice cream was a joke;
    let's say it was about insects, is that the first book you would have looked at to see what you would become? What if it was about planets?

What I'm getting at is that you had a thought, then you looked through a book. Why didn't your thought pattern take you immediately to some kind of intellectual spirit being? You thought you would come back as something else, right? Just like many other societies, they think they'll cme back as a butterfly or something, or a rat?

And then you say that stupid poeple don't get to come back. Do you mean somebody that is mentally retarded? Why is his spirit less valuable than yours? Also, at what level of stupidity does the supreme being make the decision. Is it at a certain IQ level? Maybe people who like BSMD don't get to come back! Who, or what, sets the rules?
  12. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

That wasn't what I said. Reread what I said. Also, all souls are just as valuable. The soul doesn't have an immediate binding to the "physical" life.
  13. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I re-read what you said, and it makes no sense! You contradict yourself several times between all the posts. So, since I don't believe anyway, I'll just stick to the other thread about reincarnation.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.