Forgotten How to Make Friends

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Forgotten_Man, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

There was once a time when I was able to talk to anyone and everyone online. I had plenty of online friends. However, as time went on we all lived our lives. Now most of my online friends live in the real world, not the cyber one. Which is fine, I should go out and meet new people... if I could remember how.

How does one forget how to make new friends? I mean for gods sake I am on the internet. Yet I cannot carry on a conversation to save my life. No one really sticks around to hear what I have to say, and everyone seems to disappear unless I am treating a forum like it is an instant messenger.

How exactly did it come to this? How exactly did I forget how to make people want to talk to me? Now the only thing I can think of doing is posting something along the lines of : "Looking for a pen pal or potential real life friend. Is anyone interested?" Just 5 years ago I would not have to do that.

2. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Well-Known Member

i dont think you should go out with the purpose to 'make friends', this is not the way it works.
    you will be be more helpfull to yourself going out having a good time and just being nice and helpfull to people the same way you would like to be treated, thats the way to make friends in my opinion.
    you will sence a certain 'click' with some one (or not).
    you may think you have forgotten how to make friends but that is only because something like that doesnt exist. people do not go "and make friends", just be nice and friendly and let your instinct and feeling do the rest

3. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

It's hard to make friends. Especially if you are shy now, instead of before. I have no friends really either. I have my gf (whom I met through here), and another friend (as I met through here also).

It's not easy to make friends through this age of electronics and computers.

PM me if you need someone to talk to. It's open anytime.

4. Forgotten_Man

So I just have to go out and be around people of similar interests? I try doing that at anime conventions... I have yet to walk away with another persons name.

5. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Well-Known Member

maybe you put to much presure on yourself ?
    i think being open spontanius and friendly helps. i dont have much friends meself as i have the bad habbit to dump them pretty fast because i find meself not worthy to have good people around me, but from the friends that i do have most come from work and some are friends of them thats how i got to know them.
    i never go out with the purpose of finding friends, it just happens or it doesnt.
    maybe there are some people who are able to make friends by going out with the purpose to find them, i just dont know any (which doesnt mean alot)

as far as you want your friends to be 'people with normal lifes' ( that doesnt include me or some others here but the socalled people with "perfect" lives ) i think it is important you are somehow happy and comfortable with yourself as they like to interact with people that can make them laugh are funny, open and confident.
    another reason why i possibly would fale at my current stage

6. Forgotten_Man

I have that problem as well. I fail at being confident.

I guess another problem I have, is I cannot read people. I think when I go to my conventions there are plenty of people who might be reaching out to me. But I cannot seem to see what they are doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.