Founder of DNA makes controversial remarks

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Whitewolf, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well-Known Member

The man who essentially founded DNA and is in every major science text book has some interesting things to say:
    http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_tech/article3067222.ece
    Now let me get this straight, they acknowledge he's a genius but scoff at his remarks? I am absolutely convinced that scientific research into racial differences will eventually be banned all together. And even if this evidence comes out (as it has in some cases) it will be supressed. As for his un-politically correct remarks about other things, he's just being painfully honest. Is that so hard to accept?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2007
  2. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

I wonder if Watson thinks North Asians (e.g. Koreans, Japanese and Han Chinese) are smarter than whites on average? The evil "racist" troika of Rushton, Taylor and, yes, Murray have all concluded this, which if nothing else, makes them a curious sort of racist. Though for some reason all that ever gets mentioned is their view that blacks have lower IQs than whites, similar to what Watson concluded.

I wonder what "literature" this is? I'm guessing Stephen Jay Gould's fact free nonsense figures prominently, but perhaps not.

3. Whitewolf

Their view, which i accept, is that the average Asian(East)is more intelligent than the average caucasian. However, Asian civilzations do not produce as high a ratio of supergeniuses(I.Q. 150+) as Caucasian Civilizations. Look at it this way, Caucasian Civilizations are Culture Creating, Asian Civilizations are Culture Bearing, African Civilzations cause Cultural Destruction. Without Caucasian influence Japan and China would still be back in the stone age, they merely adapt our culture and technology to fit their needs. They rarely INVENT things, rather they expand upon them.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2007
  4. worlds edge

Do you know what Watson thinks?

I think I would need to see proof of this claim, proof that goes beyond the anecdotal, before assenting to it. As best I can recall it is not the position of either Taylor, or Herrnstein/Murray. Rushton may have mentioned something like the above, but I'm afraid I don't own any of his books and my memory is failing me.

What passes for Western Civilization these days is the product of European or European-descended minds. Hardly supportive of the above position from where I'm sitting.

The printing press, paper money, the magnetic compass, and gunpowder were all discovered in China. Seems like Orienta mind can invent a few things on occassion.

5. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

IQ (although a good indicator of how "intelligent" someone is according to Western standards) probably has little bearing or meaning in differing societies. Have you ever taken an IQ test? It's all language and math skills, combined with random instances of putting shapes together and guessing what number or word doesn't belong. It's hardly a universal barometer for how successful a person will be. Einstein I'm sure had a very high "IQ" and yet failed Algebra and often forgot to wear pants. IQ can be indicative of a person's ability to apply learned knowledge, but it is far from being a sure-fire indicator of someone's ability to adapt and change, or of the social skills necessary to be successful as a husband, wife, parent or colleague.

6. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

Not controversial to me. I've heard people say this a lot of times. If it's the truth, it's the truth.

7. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

this however, is probably bullsh*t spawned by lazy, generalizing thinking.

8. Snowman

Snowman Well-Known Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
    China rarely invent things.. That is kinda funny.. Hahaha :laugh:
    Japan adapts to Caucasian culture and technology.. Hahaha :rofl:

My first laugh for the day, thank you :smile:

9. possessednomad

possessednomad Well-Known Member

I have to admit i laughed at his comment about aborting kids with a strong chance of being homosexual, purely because i thought it was so ridiculous it was funny.

also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_inventions

i know it says rarely invents things but still take a look at the 4 greatest inventions of ancient china bit too... makes it all rather laugh-worthy really tbh.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2007
  10. worlds edge

I guess it depends how the term itself is defined. Personally, I think there's something to Spearman's g, if nothing else. I'm honestly not sure how you test for it, but I believe it can be.

I don't think anyone says an IQ test is a perfect measure, but I do think there's a strong correlation between high and low IQ societies and things like average lifespan (high IQ) and highly violent, poverty stricken ones (low IQ).

Besides, the reason tests are written that way is an attempt to eliminate or at least limit cultural biases that might otherwise creep in based upon who is writing the test. This attempt may or may not be successful, that's certainly open to debate...but I do think it is a strength rather than a weakness of these sorts of tests.

I quite agree, actually, IQ tests are far from perfect.. But I do draw the line at things like Goleman's "Emotional Quotient,"

11. Whitewolf

Please elaborate on the hilarity of my claims?

12. Whitewolf

I never said that, that was someone else. Children cannot even be born homosexual. If homosexuality was genetic it is a horrible genetic mutation and it would not survive more than one generation(obviously). I never said China hasn't invented anything I'm sure there are about 50 USEFUL contributions to Western Society whereas we have contributed innumerable inventions to their society.

13. Whitewolf

GMork I obviously am not as informed on some areas of this subject as you seem to be, however I agree with you here. It's the difference between K-Selected populations(us) and R-Selected populations(them).

14. possessednomad

possessednomad Well-Known Member

'I never said that, that was someone else.'

Yeah, it was the geezer who made those comments about black people. thats what i meant.

15. Snowman

It's either you don't like being hilarious or you were somehow offended..
    If you got offended then I'm sorry.. It just came out sounding like that..
    I'm not very good with my words as you can see..

It's just that.. Japan adapting to other cultures sounds a bit surprising to me..
    Japan is one of the countries that has kept their culture really strongly but at the same time had great technology and it just sounded really strange to me when you said Japan was adapting to other cultures.. :dunno:

16. Whitewolf

First of all, there's nothing you should be apologizing for. Second of all, I'd like to say sorry for being a bit hostile.

Japan is selling out its culture in some respects and it sucks. Though Japan is keeping it's islands homogenous, immigration is severely limited, at the same time they may not be changing the racial makeup of their society but they are changing its culture.

I respect a lot of japanese cultural beliefs as they are either similiar to some European beliefs, or not contrary to European beliefs. But look at this, have you seen things like the 5th opening for bleach? All in bad english, everyone there wants to be like us(dying their hair blonde/red, english starting to be used on television, etc.) I guess this flatters some people. However, not me, i despise multi-culturalism and i think their distinct culture should be preserved. Actually in the movie The Last Samurai, the emperor is talking to the greedy japanese dude who is selling out Japan's culture in order to make money and he says some really inspirational lines:

Emperor Meiji: My ancestors have ruled Japan for 2,000 years. And for all that time we have slept. During my sleep I have dreamed. I dreamed of a unified Japan. Of a country strong and independent and modern... And now we are awake. We have railroads and cannon and Western clothing. But we cannot forget who we are. Or where we come from.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2007
  17. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

I agree with you that the Japanese seem to be very adaptive of western culture, and I agree that this is regrettable. However, is this position not precisely the multicultural one? That each culture is left in its own value, instead of monoculturalism, where one culture is hegemonic and absorbs all cultural difference?

18. Snowman

Does "everyone there wants to be like us" means Japanese wants to be like Europeans or something?
    Sure they want to be tall and have blonde hair (most Japanese people are short =P), but as a person with many Japanese friends in an English speaking country (Australia), you can clearly see that those Japanese people really does not like the people there and it's not because of language barriers. The Japanese I know can fluently speak English and Japanese.
    I mean they like their looks but they don't like the people, the country or the culture.
    Also, I think the english used on television is sort of like the States trying to make Mandarin (Chinese) a compulsory subject for some schools (Read that in a newspaper)

The Immigration is really strict.. Agreed.. Hahaha..
    I know this person who has been to Japan for 18 years, married a Japanese guy had a son and still has to use a marriage visa.. Heheh.. She said when her son turns 18, she's stuffed.. 'cause the immigration says that when your child turns 18, you don't need to take care of him anymore and they can kick you out of Japan.. 'cause you can't get citizenship or anything no matter how long you've been there for.. So you have to be either Japanese by blood or have some special talent or something? I know this non-Japanese soccer player got the citizenship or whatever you call it.. :laugh:

19. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

People cannot accept racial differences, among humans, since that would make it more apparent that humans are animals, which is an inconceivable thought. "Humans are humans and animals are animals."

20. The_Discarded

The_Discarded Staff Alumni

Interesting take.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.