Fox wants my cat for dinner

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Woke up at around 2am to the barking of a fox. Went outside and he or she was eying up my cat. I'm worried that he's going to get eaten.

Where I live, at least befor the pandemic large areas with trees are being torn down and warehouses are being put up. One put up a car dealership. I wonder if the foxes are running out of food sources.

Their cries are so piercing. My neighbor already left me a bag of cat poop, which I thought was cherry tomatoes on my front step. So I dont want to cause...not sure of the word...well, I dont want to wake everyone up because my damn cat is fox bait. He's a bully and has fought off every other cat on the block. My other cat is indoors, but she goes out for an hour a night and comes back in. Am I making too much of this? This is like the 3rd time this happened. At first I didn't even know what the hell the sound was. Anyone else ever encounter any fox issues? Thanks for reading

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
That is the downfall of having indoor/outdoor cats. They are a menace to the bird species and pisses on peoples doors and windows as well as go to the bathroom in peoples sandbox and garden which is my current issue. Finding piss spots on my basement windows. I keep my 3 cats strictly indoors because I have coyotes/people to worry about and yes they have been sighted on my doorbell camera at 4am this week. I feed stray cats so I know coyotes not interested in the food. They interested in the cats/opossum/skunk I have hanging around.

As a pet owner it is cheaper to keep my cats indoors. One realllllllly wants to go outside so bad. She ws the stray. Cries and cries but she will learn. Eventually.

I used to have indoor/outdoor cats but last one got into neighbors antifreeze or was posioned per the vet when did quick lookover what happened and symtoms when I brought her in to be cremated. Since then never again will have indoor/outdoor cat on purpose. I dont think a Fox is out to get cats on purpose though. Your neighbors are already agigated. Keep in mind what people can do to cats. In some areas cats are shot at with no afterthought. If you have a gut feeling just keep your fuzzbutts inside for a bit and see what transpires. I wish I had an cattery or outdoor enclosure so I can send my fuzzbutts outside and let them enjoy the outdoors without worrying about them.

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
That is the downfall of having indoor/outdoor cats. They are a menace to the bird species and pisses on peoples doors and windows as well as go to the bathroom in peoples sandbox and garden which is my current issue. Finding piss spots on my basement windows. I keep my 3 cats strictly indoors because I have coyotes/people to worry about and yes they have been sighted on my doorbell camera at 4am this week. I feed stray cats so I know coyotes not interested in the food. They interested in the cats/opossum/skunk I have hanging around.

As a pet owner it is cheaper to keep my cats indoors. One realllllllly wants to go outside so bad. She ws the stray. Cries and cries but she will learn. Eventually.

I used to have indoor/outdoor cats but last one got into neighbors antifreeze or was posioned per the vet when did quick lookover what happened and symtoms when I brought her in to be cremated. Since then never again will have indoor/outdoor cat on purpose. I dont think a Fox is out to get cats on purpose though. Your neighbors are already agigated. Keep in mind what people can do to cats. In some areas cats are shot at with no afterthought. If you have a gut feeling just keep your fuzzbutts inside for a bit and see what transpires. I wish I had an cattery or outdoor enclosure so I can send my fuzzbutts outside and let them enjoy the outdoors without worrying about them.
I admire that you take care to keep your fur babies in the house. I've tried to keep him in in the past and he meows relentlessly at the door or by my bedside, or attacks my ankles. I also got him a harness and 20ish foot leash attached to a post in my yard. That didn't work out. So I gave up. I hear you though @DrownedFishOnFire

BlueGreen

Your cat should be fine @Lane. Try not to worry. We have foxes here and they avoid our cats. My brother actually has foxes living in the neighbours disused garden next to him and they regularly come into his small garden. He has lots of visiting cats too and they have never been attacked.

Your cat is just one of those males that's territorial, that's just how it is, they can't be changed, it's natural. Sorry, but I think your neighbour is a jerk. No-one can stop cats pooping where they want to poop. It's not your fault and you can't do anything about it but I guess they are angry and need to blame someone. Anyway, foxes are very wary, I'm pretty sure it poses no threat.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I'd imagine it's pretty unusual for a fox to take on a cat. Cats can really put up a good fight against dog species due to their retractable claws that are far sharper than a dogs. One good swipe at the face and they'll normally run off.

We used to attract a lot of foxes into the garden because of our pet chickens but our cat would literally chase them back out.

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Do you have trail camera @Lane just thought it would be interesting to see what Foxes and your cats are doing in middle of the night.

Yeah it sucks. I have a purebred Bengal. She is ADHD to the max constantly attacking me in ambushes that draws blood. The new cat- former stray is rentless about wanting to go outside. And LOL over the harness thing *hysterical. You gotta do what you gotta do. Just love the nocturnal activities of outdoor cats and wildlife outside via my doorbell camera. I rather have Foxes anyday over coyotes! Theyre a menace!

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Hopes that you cat will be safe like the others. I can't remember the last time I saw a fox in these parts we get coyotes that can be hell on the calves that farmers have at times. Some just get a jackass for the pasture, a donkey will kick those mutts straight to coyote heaven. I can say I have seen a coyote fly a few times.

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Hopes that you cat will be safe like the others. I can't remember the last time I saw a fox in these parts we get coyotes that can be hell on the calves that farmers have at times. Some just get a jackass for the pasture, a donkey will kick those mutts straight to coyote heaven. I can say I have seen a coyote fly a few times.
I luv seeing the foxes @KM7671. They're pretty elusive but I guess they have a good scent for house pets!

Never saw a coyote, but would give anything to hear one howl at the moon!

A donkey in my yard, that'll give the neighbors something to gossil about! I wanna get a goat or 2 just to keep the damn grass cut, coming from a girl who never realized corn grew above ground in stalks until seeing it with own eyes at age 23!

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
I'd imagine it's pretty unusual for a fox to take on a cat. Cats can really put up a good fight against dog species due to their retractable claws that are far sharper than a dogs. One good swipe at the face and they'll normally run off.

We used to attract a lot of foxes into the garden because of our pet chickens but our cat would literally chase them back out.
I could picture this scenario in my head. That's one tough little kitty! I hope to avoid any street fighting. Hey, maybe the fox just wants to be adopted by me?! Lol

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Your cat should be fine @Lane. Try not to worry. We have foxes here and they avoid our cats. My brother actually has foxes living in the neighbours disused garden next to him and they regularly come into his small garden. He has lots of visiting cats too and they have never been attacked.

Your cat is just one of those males that's territorial, that's just how it is, they can't be changed, it's natural. Sorry, but I think your neighbour is a jerk. No-one can stop cats pooping where they want to poop. It's not your fault and you can't do anything about it but I guess they are angry and need to blame someone. Anyway, foxes are very wary, I'm pretty sure it poses no threat.
Thanks @BlueGreen. Yeah, she's a piece of work, my neighbor. She recently had the cops called on her for assaulting a Verizon salesman, before pandemic. Tough old broad, oops am I still allowed to say that? Ha

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00