fragmented sentences due to nervousness?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by lachrymose27, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

Sometimes I speak in fragmented sentences, even a very little bit of stuttering. This only happens when I feel nervous/anxiety. Anyone with similar experiences? It makes me feel like I have no confidence sometimes.
  2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I would imagine that probably happens to a lot of people, especially when you have to speak in front of people, so you're not going to be alone :). I would also imagine that when you get anxious and it happens, you then get more anxious because, understandably, it affects your confidence, and that makes it worse. Which must make the situation so much harder.

Is it anxiety about anything in particular that makes it worse? Or just anything?

What happens if you stop and take a breath before speaking? Does that help slow it down? I wonder if super fast thoughts that sometimes come with anxiety maybe make it worse?

I find that my sentences come out garbled and with the wrong words when my adrenaline in pumping, but it depends what gets the adrenaline pumping which causes the problem for me. Normally anxiety at what I'm saying, or the person I'm saying it to.
  3. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

i think taking a breath would help make me a little more understandable. i do find myself not thinking through most of the time... thanks for the tip :)
  4. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I struggle to bring my thoughts to my words when speaking. It's like there is a wiring problem from my brain to my mouth. I write much better. I have to go back over what I write as I write to keep my line of thought going forward. I do have a working memory disability. In fact, I think I have SCT, Sluggish Cognitive Disorder, which is a subcategory of ADD.

Some of the symptoms are the same as depression and that part intrigues me. I think having both makes life seem even worse. I feel very un-connected from the world.

:sigh: We get through the best we can.

5. 2-D

2-D Well-Known Member

only happened to me around this one person, but i was quite taken with her, tho the feeling was not mutual :(
  6. dnE ehT

dnE ehT Well-Known Member

All the time. I sometimes spend hours just trying to figure out what I might say so I'm not constantly pausing and stuttering.
  7. bluepotatoe

bluepotatoe Active Member

all the time, slowly getting better though. I often regret the things I left out, or should of said, missing opportunities...

It takes practice, I hate being social but putting yourself out there will help you become less nervous over time.
  8. THEO

THEO Member

the same thing happens to me, I dont really know how to stop it, Ive gotten better by forcing myself to be social
  9. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

This has happened to me before, I think it is pretty common just take a deep breath and talk slowly. That should help. Blessings..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.