Freaked Out!

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Kaish, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Kaish

Kaish Well-Known Member

I started working at my new job today and I'm grateful to have it. I really am, but I'm frustrated with how someone above me can tell me the wrong thing and I am blamed. Yesterday was my third day of training and I tried so hard to improve. I was nervous though, and made the mistake where I forgot my log on for the register. I had the manager insisting I keep the light on, while customers told me to not keep it on if I am not open. I honestly wanted to give up because I was getting no help and not feeling part of the team.

I'm training for a new location that is still being built, so I am working at various store locations. They told me yesterday to call another store today to see what my schedule is. I called last night, just in case I was working today in the morning. The manager said she didn't see me on the roster, but the person in charge of the trainees would be in soon and would call me back. They have not called me back. I called the store this morning and got no answer. I called again and no answer. I'm worried that on the off chance I was suppose to work today. What am I going to say if that is the case? Also regarding tomorrow, I need to get in contact with someone soon. I'm so worried I could be fired over this. Someone please tell me in order to fire me there is paperwork they have to fill out and have me sign. I'm not worried so much about me being fired at this moment, but my future with the company I worry about.

It's so frustrating because the second day of training I had the nicest manager ever who made me feel a part of the team. I made no mistakes that day and enjoyed the time at work. I think part of the problem is because I'm working in locations temporary, the employees just see it as the week they have to put up with new people.
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

It is always confusing when starting someplace and much more so when jumping to different locations and different trainers. It sounds yo me like you are doing everything as well as could be expected. It will be hard to bond and feel like part of a team until you have a permanent assignment or at least regular schedule for exactly why you said - right now you are just somebody to take up time training -- that is their problem, not yours so don't take it on yourself- you did not make the training schedule, their Boss did.

When you are training you will make mistakes - everybody does. Try as best as possible to not let it effect you once it is corrected - yo cant change the past and no sense in learning it be anything more than a learning tool for the future. If you are making the calls to find out when and where you are doing all you can that I can think of. I hope you feel better as time goes on and start to feel like a part of the team - you already are and the fact that you are concerned just means you are a conscientious part.
  3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Kaish, training can be a confusing time, can't it? When we're new on a job, it's often a little nerve wracking. New job jitters. Things will likely make more sense the longer you're doing them.

I'm not sure what to say about the cash line light. It seems that customers and the manager have a different understanding. At the next location you're at, perhaps you can ask if there's a policy or at least see how they do it (e.g., light on = taking customers; light off = not taking customers). At any time, if a customer gripes, an apology for inconvenience, confusion might be an idea.

Sounds like you made very reasonable efforts to find out when/where you are supposed to be next shift. Maybe make some notes about the times/dates you called and, if you know, who you talked to, so you can tell the company if they question you or there are problems from this.

If you still don't hear back from someone, could you call the person who told you to call that next location? At least then there is an official record of your trying to find out.

Also, if you connect with anyone at the location you were told to call, ask who is in charge of the trainees and leave a message specifically for that person to call you so you know when you're expected to be in.

I hope you hear from work soon. :)
  4. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

You seem to be trying really hard in a difficult situation. Difficult because it hasn't been organised as well as it should have been. Nothing you can do about that and not your responsibility. Is the company dependent on phonecalls ? Doesn't it ever email instructions or use Blackberries? You could consider keeping an online record and feedback of your experiences. This might be useful to confirm the actions you've taken to ensure you are doing what is required of you. Might also show initiative to give your employers feedback of the training experience. They're paying for it they should want it to work well.
  5. Kaish

Kaish Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses and the suggestions. I'm the type that will take the fault and try harder next time, but I guess as I mature I have to stand up for myself from time to time.

I called back again and reached a manager who appeared to be more helpful. He said he would look into it and if I do not hear from him by 2PM to give him a call back. No surprise I haven't heard back from him yet, I'm almost to the point of driving to the store and demanding my schedule. I think the bad thing about this is it's reminding me what it is like to not have a job, the whole sitting at home all day trying to accomplish something and wonder how you're going to make ends meet. I need to get back working! Hopefully this gets resolved soon. Thanks again for the suggestions.