Fred Phelps is a nutcase.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Esmeralda, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Strange to me that Jesus never mentioned homosexuality (I'm not saying it's what God intended, but anti-homosexuality most certainly was not the main message in the Gospels, if mentioned at all). Why do some people need to hate so very much? This makes me angry as a Christian because we are not all like this and they are indoctrinating children to say some of the most hateful things I have ever heard in my life (i.e., "These bastard fags are going to Hell and they deserve it"...this from an 8 year old). The fact that these people interrupt funerals and such really makes me angry. Sorry, just saw a documentary on this and am all riled up about it. Any thoughts? Why do these people do this?

2. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

These people are never further away from God. They use the idea of God to benefit thier own beliefs rather than to teach others, like Christians set out to. They are hypocrits and imbociles who have no time in thier minds to debate their own arguments. Rather to listen to what they have been forced to learn and never think any different. Never give them an inch because they will take a foot.

3. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

I think the problem with most christians is that they listen more to Paul's preaching than Christ's message of freedom.

4. ACRon

ACRon Well-Known Member

Christian radicals, the voice on homosexuality? I'm not so sure they are in a position to judge

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2007
  5. YEESH! I just googled him. What a piece of work. Found this:

[Westboro Baptist Church] The church at Westboro which he leads has 71 confirmed members, 60 of whom are related to Phelps through blood or marriage or both.

(I think his gene pool could use some chlorine)

Anyone who picks and chooses one or two select quotes for their reference and agenda should read this (of course, I might be accused of the same thing, but I enjoyed the juxtaposition - the author did his homework):

www.manbottle.com/humor/the_book_of_leviticus

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  6. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Obviously a product of inbreeding and a FOOL!! :mad:

Fred Phelps that is not anyone here :laugh:

7. ACRon

ACRon Well-Known Member

so his branch of faith is no more than the cult of one mans twisted view. one person kisses his ass, others follow. i imagine, reluctantly, his ass is well and truely nurtured. the lure of cash and fame a basis for hatred and controversy? now who would follow such drivvle... only the lost

8. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

I remember seeing a documentary (I think it was with Louis Theroux) on television about him with my girlfriend.

The abuse that was probably going on in his own family is unimaginable.

He reminded me so much of my father. He scared me.

9. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

He probably and very likely had some issues going on with his own sexuality.

10. ACRon

ACRon Well-Known Member

yeah, and to reflect that he chooses to deflect the attention away from his home? whats wrong with him, why is he so scared of his house:laugh: what a coward, GO HOME!!!

11. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for the kids who are born into this madness. They never stood a chance...

Also, showing up at a soldier's funeral with signs that say things like "Thank God For 911"? WTF? If they ever showed up at one of my relative's funerals I would gladly go to jail for the opportunity to beat the piss out of every single one of them. Seriously.

If any of you get SHOWTIME, this documentary is "on demand" right now under "specials" if you really feel like getting pissed off today :)

12. ACRon

ACRon Well-Known Member

I'm riled up enough i think for now. I just had the misfortune of hearing a black preacher try to insight hatred against people who basically have a way of life that has no room for his aggressive opinions on self worth and how a man should go about getting what he wants. I hate this world sometimes, really. soz to go off topic :unsure:

13. brokensoul98

brokensoul98 Well-Known Member

In My Bible,,GOD LOVES ALL PEOPLE,,RACE,COLOR,SEXUAL PREFERENCE, ETC...GOD IS LOVE... If that is not true,,,the Bible is false.

14. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

Jesus never mentioned cannibalism, either, but that hardly means he'd tolerate it, does it? Or for that matter I'm unaware of any specific quotes on abortion, suicide or infanticide, either. Does that mean they're permitted? (Probably not infanticide, but the traditional Jewish rule seems to allow abortion until the 40th day following conception, and there are several instances of suicide in the Old Testament that are not spoken of as wrong or evil. To say nothing of the actions of Jewish near-contemporaries of Jesus at Masada.)

The ancient Hebrews were the most intolerant group towards homosexuality in the Mediterranean Basin in ancient times. I'll dig up some references if you'd like, though this might take a bit. The Greeks, even the Romans, had a rather mild take on the practice, to say nothing of the other groups, from the Phoencians on down who were even more accepting, at least of the male variety. Why was Jesus born into such a group of savage, intolerant freaks? Did God screw up?

Edit to add: Sorry forgot to tack on a concluding thought that since Jesus emerged from such a milieu, I'm guessing His silence on the matter means he felt as those around him did. Assuming of course he existed in the form presented in the Gospels. Which I reject, but I'm presuming ou accept.

Why put passages into the Bible like Romans 1:22-32 to give ammunition to those who hate so very much? And so far as I know Paul was never criticized for that passage, either by his contemporaries nor by any of the Church Fathers after his time.

See the passage I cited from Romans. Assuming it is to accepted by a Christian as true, what other interpretation is possible? Perhaps the nonsense in Leviticus and Deuteronomy re: homosexuality can be reasonably ignored, perhaps not. Some Christians seem to think it can, others not, contingent upon how you take things like Mt 15. That chapter I guess is mostly about diet and hygiene, but it doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me to give the passage a wider reading to other areas of the Jewish Law. As someone who rejects Christianity, this is not really my place to say, though it does look like it could be read several different ways. BUT if Romans is canonical, how can you pass up on that? After all it was written after your Savior's death.

Yes, that goes beyond bizarre, doesn't it? Though I don't think they technically interrupt them, in the sense that the funerals are not permitted to go on, do they? They simply stand on the sidewalk and protest, and generally look like morons. You live in a society that tolerates dissent, you have to tolerate those who dissent, even if you personally consider their actions vile. And Phelps his crew are quite careful never to trespass or assault anyone, as I understand it.

Hate to say it, but Phelps would probably be glad to hear that you are. That you're granting him a reaction he wants would make him quite happy, is what I'm guessing.

Some moron screeching eternal damnation makes me giggle for a second, and then bores me to tears after that. And as long as they're not trespassing, committing slander or libel, or physically disrupting anyone's passage, I think they have to be let be. I consider things like freedom of speech and freedom of assembly rights too precious to set aside, even if this means Fred Phelps and his ilk get to caper about like monkeys on methamphetamine.

Why do people do anything? At this point I have enough trouble regulating my own thoughts, plans and actions to play armchair psychiatrist for vile creatures like Fred Phelps. Obviously he loves attention and obviously he'll do anything within the bounds of the law to obtain it. Probably what would truly make him unhappy is to be ignored, though that's the sort of speculation I just said I wouldn't do. :tongue: So on that note, I'll say no more about Fred Phelps.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2007
  15. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Yes. Phelps is a nutcase. I don't really blame nutcases for being nutcases though. It's not really their fault they were born damaged. Of course, that doesn't mean I condone his ignorance. I just pity him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.