Free spirit or full of shit?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by itmahanh, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

i had a conversationthe other day. we were talking about my little one and his views on heaven and hell (hes 5 years old). basically he sees it that if you are the best person you can be then you go to heaven. if your bad you go to hell. he also blew me away the other day talking to me about karma, and he knew what he was talking about.

so the other person gets angry and tells me im wrong to let him believe that. he has to personally announce jesus christ as his saviour and only then will he be allowed into heaven.

So what? to hell with being good. you can be a monster but as long as you accept jesus your going to heaven. no hell even though you may of given enough of it to others?

I havent belonged to or followed an organized religion for years now. didnt like what i was seeing. but i still believe in my own way. my friend says im just too lazy to commit to a religion and it's rules.

well im not into gangs either. and to me organized religion is just that. only one big boss. everyone else follows the boss's rules or your at the least out of the gang, at the worst, living a life of fear and dread if you dont.

in my eyes im sort of a free spirit. to others im full of shit. but either way im not letting anyone tell me how to be religious or what i have to do all my life with no guarantee that insures a place in heaven or hell. . stuff that. religion has become nothing more than a money grabbing gang. each religion trying to recruit new members to become the strongest in the hood. and with their power it becomes more about the money than the love of each other or even god.
  2. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you and your little one...

the only people full of shit are the religious blind...they'd rather put all their responsibility on other people (like satan and God) than actually take control of their lives which is what God were given the gift of choosing...and with that comes responsibility...but most people want to be able to do thing they know they shouldn't and then blame it on someone else..."It's not my fault, its a demon or it's satan" and they like the idea of wiping their hands clean by asking for forgiveness...the thing is though....that doesn't pay for things you do...and if you don't take responsibility, karma comes and bites you in the ass...

those people will have to answer to God when they die..."cause God doesn't like that behavior...
  3. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

No. Plenty of people are. :)
  4. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

This reminds me of an incident with my son when he was 6, he had watched a programme on reincarnation the night before and was regaling his class with the salient facts the next day.
    Now admittedly he was attending a catholic school, but being a catholic has never blinded me to the merits of other beliefs and religions.
    I was summoned to the school by the headmaster who informed me that Daniel could be expelled for expressing heretical beliefs :dry:
    I pointed out that a knowledge of other faiths hardly constituted heresy and summoned our parish priest (a lovely man who was known for his open mindedness), he put paid to the headmasters rhetoric and we won the day:yay:
    A result for the side of reason and religious tolerance :D
  5. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I agree with you and your son *Hug*
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

It's find life kind of annoying because I spend hundreds of hours thinking about life but in a couple of minutes I can read about some ancient greek philospher and think 'yeah, that's what I thought'. So was that time wasted?

What I like about religion / philosophy is that I can reflect upon my own thoughts and think "What would the Christians / Buddhists / Stoics / Existentialists think about it?" I think that can enrich your life and so is worth learning about.

I've no problem with people expressing their points of view, I'm a vegetarian and I'll happily tell you why I don't like to eat meat, but if you then say "But I like eating meat" all I can do is say "Fair enough" that's up to you. But if people start saying don't preach to us about eating meat, then I can never tell you who I am, or what's important to me, and that's a shame.

So it's good to say this is my belief or opinion, if it helps you great, if you reject it that's ok too. But once I start saying the state of your immortal soul depends upon it, well...
  7. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

I find it far more annoying how often information is lost in the 'adapted' programs for other groups to learn about Buddhists or whatever. They usually leave out key concepts and/or use poor words to describe them.

If you think that the Buddha is believed to be a God by Buddhists, that's incorrect. If you think Hinduism is polytheistic... you're partially correct, but not really in the more profound way. If you think Islam supports terrorism... you're right insofar as the bible supports terrorism as well.
  8. Oskan

Oskan Member

Good for you-don't let them tell you your parenting and religious teachings are wrong. Has it struck anyone else that all the major wars have been fought over differences of beliefs or appearences? Muslim vs. Christian, the battles in Ireland and division between Northern Ireland and Ireland, the genocide in Africa and the Holocaust...
    Accepting each other's differences is the only way we can move on, and I'm glad you let your son think his own thoughts :D They're great-he'll grow into an amazing man.
  9. titanic

titanic Well-Known Member

Thats a bit rich isn't it? Making generalisations about 'religious' people. I'm Christian and I certainly take responsibility for my actions and behaviour. Do you think for example 'religious' people can go have an affair / cheat on their partner and then say, satan done it? Thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, in fact if anything Christians are held accountable whereas in this society some people think they can do what the heck they like without consequences for their actions.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.