Free Therapy?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Aurora Gory Alice, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Does anybody know where there are some free group therapy meetings in England?
    I'm about to go back on meds, but meds alone won't be enough I feel I need to try therapy again.
    I've tried it before and it was fantastic but I had the means to pay back then, I sadly don't anymore. :(
    I find one on one counselling a little patronising and like this person doesn't care/just listening because they are getting paid etc. I can't handle it.
    Group therapy has always been a lot more beneficial, hearing other peoples issues and coping mechanisms has helped me a lot more than just some chick listening and offering up advice when she has never been depressed.
    Just a shame I can't afford it.
    Anybody know of any where that does it for free? Esp. in London.
  2. GeekGurl

GeekGurl Well-Known Member

In Colchester my Doctor's surgery has a deal with a local training centre, where you can get access to trainee therapists for real cheap like about £3.00 an hour or something. They have safegaurds in place to make sure there are fully qualified people if needed.

Obviously that isn't going to be much use to you, but similar schools probably also have similar programs so you could ring around. This School is called Life-Force. I don''t know if it's just local or nationwide.
  3. GeekGurl

GeekGurl Well-Known Member

Though I love the idea of some sort of weekly group meeting along the lines of, No Specific Problem Anonymity Optional. I don't think such a thing exists tho.
  4. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

You can get group therapy on nhs... it just needs a referral and of course, will take some time to get (lists=nhs).
  5. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I don't think my Doctor will ever refer me for therapy again since I have walked out on one to one nhs sessions, twice. Just couldn't face them. :(
  6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi hun,

check out the link in my signature, I think Jenny has posted on there about free therapy :dunno: :hug:
  7. plates

plates Well-Known Member