Freezing up

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by melgrj7, Aug 6, 2009.

1. melgrj7

melgrj7 Member

Does anyone else have issues with freezing up? Like I can't talk, I want to but I can't. How do I learn to talk?
  2. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

You mean during therapy sessions?

I ended up not exactly freezing up but crying because I couldn't get my words out.

Have you thought about writing down how you are feeling, as much as you can and then giving that to your counsellor so he/she can get a better understanding of you and then take things slowly from there?

It's difficult at first to open up and speak, but take your time, the words will come out. Just say a little at a time.
  3. melgrj7

melgrj7 Member

I write between therapy sessions, I've been seeing this person for about year. I talk a little bit more than I did, but not much. I just feel like I can't. I try to and I get . . . I freeze up. Even with the writing, it helps, it gives her something to go off of, but I still feel like I can't do more than give short answers to questions.
  4. Spuddy

Spuddy Member

I do, lots. No advice sorry, I'm struggling with it!
  5. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

What do you guys think it is? Anxiety maybe?

Ever tried taking Benzos before each session to relax?
  6. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

I think it is part of their job to get you talking and to get the longer answers out. I turn up in casual relaxed manner, and just talk as if I am talking to a friend. Forget about their qualifications, just pretend its a friend. Also realise they are not going around telling other people your business, so better than a friend.
  7. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

counsellors/psych they are trained to get you talking. writing helps you both while you are building trust, rapport and confidence. This takes time.