Friend has suicidal thoughts

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Sookie10, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sookie10

Sookie10 New Member

A friend of mine has been having suicidal thoughts for a few wks now. Her first Son was born after she was raped. Every time she visits GP it's flagged up that she may be suffering depression due to to this. He is doing really well and is 11/12yrs of age. My friend has had three further children ranging from 1-5 from her current partner. She's jst been diagnosed with an illness, can't remember the name. It's where she's unable to control her left hand and has no strength in it at al. Since being diagnosed with this the GP has put her on a number of meds, of which I don't know the names. But it has given her suicidal thoughts on two occasions now. She's seen the GP and explained this to him. My concern is that the GP hasn't referred her to a psychologist or changed her meds. I know it sounds really harsh with everything she's going through but I have a feeling she may be lying about the suicidal thoughts. Only because I think the GP would've/should've referred her to someone by now. Am I right in saying is? Should she have had someone come to this house to check on the children? I hope I'm wrong. But I don't know what to do for the best at the moment. I'm here for her and she knows this. I visit as often as I can. But it feels that I'm still not doing enough

Please help me or give me guidance on this

Many thanks

2. randomguy9

randomguy9 Put's the "Pro" in Profanity Chat Pro

I would strongly advise against suggesting someone's suicidal thoughts are fake.

I know when someone disregarded mine it nearly sent me into a breakdown right after I pulled myself out of one.

Medication is known to raise those... but that is an issue for a doctor... I don't know nearly enough about it.

Suicidal feelings are things you can't understand unless you have been through them. Be supportive, and non judemental as possible.

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Your friend can you go to the doctors with her if she allows it and explain to doctor how she is still having suicidal ideation and that perhaps her meds need adjusting and maybe a therapist referral would help her more sometimes when a person is depressed they don't advocate for themselves you could do that for her

4. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

There may be a little proverb: Lying about having suicide thoughts? 99% sure. Not lying about them? 100% dead.

5. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

sorry that your friend is going through this. You're a good friend to be thinking about her.

She might want to see another doctor and get a second opinion. She can also see a psychologist/therapist directly without a GP referal, I think.

Given what she's gone through, therapy sounds like a good idea for her.

Agree with total eclipse that going along might be good, as long as your friend is open to that.

Agree with randomguy9 and Hatshepsut about taking her being suicidal seriously. I don't see any reason for her to be lying, and given the traumas that she's been through, it's understandable that she might be feeling that way.

Some of the info in my signature might be helpful.

6. Sookie10

Sookie10 New Member

Thanks for the messages ppl. It's not that I don't believe her, I do. The drugs she's on now make her look drunk from about 1000hrs everyday. What I don't understand is that the GP hasn't contacted social services. It maybe me being naive, and I hope it is. But shouldn't someone go round and check that her and the kids are ok? Her partner currently works nights and is in the process of going part time to help care for her. But this takes time, procedures and policies to follow so the Company have records that they are supporting him. He's phoning in sick sometimes to care for her but then that goes against him at work n they're getting funny with him.
    I might suggest that I, or someone else goes to her next GP appointment with her. But being the stubborn mare she is sometimes I don't want her to think that myself or other friends are being too controlling

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.