friend in hospital

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by netsirk, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. netsirk

netsirk Active Member

My very good friend is checking herself into a hospital today for her cutting and urges to self harm. I am really worried for her. Has anyone else done this and how long should I expect her to be there? I am going to miss her like crazy. We would talk to each other whenever either one of us felt like cutting. She has been there for me and now I worry about what I am going to do when the urge comes and I have no one safe to turn to.:sad:
  2. the_juggalo

the_juggalo Account Closed

for cutting herself lots of people cut just be there for her tell her that u love as a friend and theres other ways to stop cutting:smile:
  3. jane doe

jane doe Well-Known Member

i´m not the best example for you, but i´m a self harmer since 5 years ago. i can´t look for help because in my country the professionals want to tell my parents about it because i´m 19 and not 21. i´ve tryed to stop doing it since i started, and what i can tell you, or any of us, it´s that it will always be with your friend, but it can be managed by herself and the support of her friends and family. she will progresive stop doing it, because she will stop with help, but she need someone to trust if the urge comes back. what you can do it´s to be there whenever she says she doesn´t feel good (SPECIALLY ON THE FIRST MONTH) take care, and i really hope you´ll there for her, not as my friends that left me alone when i more needed them.

by the way...welcome to the forum, if you ever need to talk about anything you can come, and pm me.

this is a good link for you to read: harm (Aus).pdf
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2007
  4. Sashi0

Sashi0 Well-Known Member

How exactly did your friend check in? Do you just walk in and say, I am a cutter I need help? I've been wanting help but it's so expensive where I live and I can't find any low income clinics. :sad:
  5. riz

riz Senior Member

Hi Netsirk.

I just want to say that I'm glad that you're friend will be somewhere that may be able to help them. I know how hard it is to lose the one person that was able to help you through urges, but I can only suggest that you not lean so hard on someone else with the same problem.

I know how much pressure comes with being someone's support, but also I know how much weight I can end up putting on someone that is supporting me. Either way, it might not be fair to the other person.

Something that really helped me was to get in touch with a counselor. I contacted one through my school and it's completely free and confidential. That way, I have someone to talk to and depend on that doesn't need to rely on me as well.

Please stay safe, and remember that there are so many supportive people on this site and you can PM anyone--including me--if you need any help.

With love,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.