Friend needs help, she won't talk to me

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by liliarose, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liliarose

liliarose New Member

Yesterday my friend called me and told me she was about to kill herself, that she was sorry, and goodbye - then she hung up on me. I called her back a dozen times but she kept sending my calls to voicemail. I was scared so I called 911. She kept calling me back and then hanging up on me - I kept asking her if I could come and get her and try to help, but she wouldn't let me. When I told her I called to get her help she got really mad and hung up on me. She wouldn't answer my calls after that.

Last night she left me a voicemail saying not to return her call and that I should never call her again. All I wanted was to try to save my friend from herself - she's one of the few friends I have - and now she's furious with me.

I don't know what to do, any advice is appreciated...

A little background: I have had depression problems all my life and last month ended up in a psych ward. So I know a little about what she's going through, but I don't know what to do now or how to help her.

Thanks...

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

You did the right thing hun she may be mad or furious but she put you in a very bad position and friend does not do that hun You had to call if you did not then what or how would you feel if she did attempt. Your friend need to accept her part in all of this Time to make a friend that is healthy for YOU hun one that would not do as she has done hugs

3. yous

yous Well-Known Member

This is going to sound cruel, but Leave Her Alone.

She hasn't killed herself yet or she would have done it right after she hung up on you instead of called you back to tell you not to call her. She is acting "like a child" - in that she is vying for attention - it is not uncommon for those who are acting in agression and depression. I've been there before, threatened people I was going to kill myself - goodbye - the whole 9 yards, but the truth of the matter is, people who threaten to kill themselves don't really want to die. The best thingto do is let her cool down - have some alone time then wait a bit, call her in 3-4 days saying what's up. She may not be better, but she may then be ready to talk. When she does, then say how very much you were worried, but that you will always be there for her - never leave her - and perhaps these threatening episodes may subside. Just my 2 cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.