Friend self-harming?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by PiecesMended, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PiecesMended

PiecesMended Well-Known Member

Well we're not the best of buddies but we get on all right, have a laugh with a group of mutual friends. Today we all noticed that he had two scratches and "DIE" kind of carved into his hand. He clamed he was bored and did it with his nails then said that it was a razor. When everyone carried on about it he got a bit embaressed and put his hand in his pocket I really felt bad for him. I wonder if I should say something? I don't know. I'm not sure, maybe he was bored and it's not really a problem for him? I don't want to tell him about me but maybe I should try and make sure he's not becoming like me, constantly doing this to himself. And if that means telling him that I do and that's how I know then I will. But I'd like some advice please if you guys wouldn't mind as I'm not sure what to really do. :unsure:

2. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

Personally, I would talk to him, but only to let him know that he can talk to you, rather than force him to discuss it. It would be really helpful to him if you feel able to let him know that you self-harm, because that demonstrates that you're not judging him in any way.

I'm not ever really sure of the best thing to do in this situation, but I would try to talk about it if possible.

3. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Saying he was bored is just an excuse. People don't cut themselves just for the fun of it.

I'd suggest when you are alone together, just say that if he wants to talk about it, then you are there for him.

It's really a personal choice if you tell him about your own self harming. Of course it would help him feel more at ease knowing that you do it too. But if you are not comfortable opening yourself up like that, then that is ok.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.