Friend thinks Suicide is funny

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by The Depressed Puppy, Jan 3, 2014.

1. The Depressed Puppy

The Depressed Puppy Well-Known Member

We were talking about depression and stuff. So I asked her what she thought about suicide.. she said why would anyone ever commit suicide? she just laughed at it.Said that its foolish to anyone who wants to attempt suicide, & says you should attempt suicide because you have food.

She has been suicidal before, or at least she told me she was.

This really bugged me because I have been suicidal before, & I actually just want to attempt suicide before for "a cry for help."

I am just be over sensitive & critical....
  2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Bottom line is that she's not a good friend if she's going to be completely insensitive to what you are going through. If she is going to treat you like that, then maybe it's a good idea not to be around her.
  3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I might not be too hard on her for her way of expressing herself. If she has been suicidal before then her laughing and saying it is stupid may be her coping mechanism for dealing with a very large potential trigger for herself. But it may be better for both you and her to find somebody else to share those thoughts or feelings with.
  4. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I can see why that hurt. What I find is that most friends cannot have a discussion about suicide. I learned many years ago that it is too hot a topic to discuss with most people. Some completely left my life because of it. Others said things that hurt. The very last itme I came close to mentioning it was about 5 years ago. She said "please dont tell me that you are suicidal" I said of course not. I could tell by the way she was saying it that if I said yes, things would have changed instantly.

I personally find that as long as I have this community, I do not have to discuss it with people irl. I would rather not risk friendships. There are practitioners though who know I long to be gone. But I assure them that I will not kill myself.
  5. The Depressed Puppy

The Depressed Puppy Well-Known Member

She is like my BFF, & I was talking about it in general. I have never told I was suicidal, I haven't even told I was depressed. I lie about being happy, when I am not happy, but everyone thinks in RL that I am really happy...
  6. flowers

flowers Senior Member

its so horrible to have to hide so much of what we are living. Its a very lonely feeling. I am really sorry. I know that when someone asks how I am I say great. With a very high lilt in my voice. But to be honest i cannot hide much of the depression. I am sorry that you do not have a friend irl with whom you can be honest about how you are feeling in general. living with the mask on all the time is lonely.
  7. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Talk about suicide can bring out different reactions in people. Remember, your friend is only being a human
  8. mpang123

mpang123 Well-Known Member

I CANNOT talk about suicide to any of my neighbors. They can't deal with the issues. My manager says to talk about it in group therapy, with my therapist, pdoc, or my group members. I used to share it with my neighbors, but since the last deadly attempt, nobody want to feel responsible for me in case I try to reach out to them but they couldn't help out of negligence, and they can't take the blame. Understandable.
  9. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I think some people just don't know how to deal with suicidal issues, or they wouldn't understand because they've never experienced it. An example would be telling a friend about my cutting, and he laughed and asked if I was emo. But overall, he's a pretty good friend. So I just learned to put a mask on around most people, and I'm mostly only open on this site.
  10. Cariad_Bach

Cariad_Bach Staff Alumni

I agree with everyone above. I have also encountered some strange reactions to the idea of suicide - both general and specific. I put it down to alternative coping methods, knowledge about the issues, and ability to open up about it. It is a difficult subject for most, if not all, people. Whether or not that's really what it is, is kind of immaterial. It is the least painful explanation for me, and it saves me from having to evaluate a friendship on something that can be avoided by my confiding in, and discussing with, others who are more able to listen and respond helpfully. The worth of my friend is not measured on their ability to discuss any certain topic - even if that topic is important to me.