Friend..

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Bambi, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

What is a good friend? How do you make friends?

2. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I've had so many 'friends' over the years. But in the end most of them turned out to be people to pal around with/get drunk with, colleagues, friends OF friends, relatives, casual acquaintances, and class mates.
    I've never really had any real friends... not for a long time, since childhood.

To me a friend is someone who enjoys your company.
    Someone who knows you well.
    Someone you have a reciprocated level of trust with.
    Only wants the best for you and tries their hardest not to lose you.
    Someone who takes as much as they give. 50/50 split, but understands that there may be times when you need to take a little more than you give (same goes for them, sometimes we all need to take a bigger slice of the pie, but no doubt there will be a time when they need the bigger piece).
    Someone you can depend on.
    Someone you care for.

I'm sure I could add a million more to that, but to me all of those make a friend. :)

How do you make a good friend when you're over 9 years old. Man I wish I knew.
    I think the older we get, the more selfish and disillusioned we get and it becomes more and more difficult to make friends who are not our partners.

For me it's often been a case of making friends with people I've been thrown together with because of situation and then realised we had things in common or liked each others company.
    i.e. University, School, Work, Groups/Bands, Acting Class, Friends of friends/family/partners etc.
    Even depression can bring people together!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2009
  3. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Thats a hard question to answer.. I haven't had any good friends in the past twenty something years.. I have made friends here on the forum and have carried out that friendship outside of the forum..I feel I can trust these two with anything.. My best friend knows everything about me and doesn't judge me..I'm sure if you hang around here at the forum you will make friends here also..Just be carefull how much you share with people until your gut tells you that you can trust them..

4. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I agree 100% with Linds on what being a friend is. I've got tons of acquaintances, and then a few really close friends that I can trust with anything.

5. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out - Walter Winchell

6. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Never a truer word has been spoken Claire! :)

7. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

How do you make friends? I mean if you come up and be nice to someone these days they seem to freak out and run aways..are they just not ready to have friends but say they do? Aren't ya supposed to be a bit proactive? I ask cuz I think I am doing something really wrong and I am very open to change.