Ideas & Opinions Friending and Unfriending on Facebook

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
The majority of folks here feel like social media drags us down and makes us feel worse... that the feelings of isolation are actually stronger when we're connected by social media than without it. It would seem it's supposed to be doing the opposite (and for some of us it IS connecting) but instead it makes us feel bad and like we are missing out on better things in life. This article gives a little insight to how being ostracized on social media affects us.

Article reads in part:

Being shunned on social networks is a very real phenomenon. Being ostracized this way results in lowered self esteem and feelings of depression and of not belonging. Anyone who has participated in an online community support web site can testify to how much emotional power can be stimulated by online relationships. In fact, sometimes the interactions can generate even more power than face to face relationships because the anonymity of the web allows for a lot of projecting of thoughts and feelings and, therefore, a lot of distortion about what is really being communicated.

According to Sidona, there are four main reasons why people are unfriended on Facebook:

1. Frequent, unimportant posts
2. Polarizing posts usually about politics or religion.
3. Inappropriate posts involving sexist, racist remarks
4. Boring everyday life posts about children, food, spouses etc.

Reference or continental reading here:
https://www.mentalhelp.net/blogs/friending-and-unfriending-on-facebook/

Last edited:

cymbele

SF Supporter
My daughter says that "unfriending " someone is the ultimate insult. My friend nearly "unfriended" me b/c I unfriended her dead husband. I should have left well enough alone. (BTW we're not really friends irl but due to an another incident). I don't like being unfriended but it happens and I like to think I have friends on Facebook who like to see my pictures. The ones that really care.

Were all together

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Honestly, fb is like Myspace to today's world. Kids today don't even use it anymore. In fact, they joke that its "Parent book". If you care about status and being popular, go for it. I only use it to stay in touch with some people. If they were dead, I delete them as well. I really don't think I'll be getting pics or selfies from heaven or hell.

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
SF Supporter
I have a facebook account, although most of my "friends" and family might disagree. I log on once a month or so, clear the alerts and log out. I realized at some point that facebook was just one more place to put on my fake smile and I got tired of pretending. I posted something real once and was unfriended by 26 people lol. Yeah, those weren't my friends. I've posted things WAY more real here and instead of unfriending me people reached out.

My point in this rambling is there is nothing inherently wrong with social media, but remember that most people are putting on their best performance so what you see isn't the whole picture. At some point I plan to go back to facebook and launch a "real" campaign on my page. Reach out to those on my friends list who are silently hurting and don't have anywhere to turn.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
I posted something real once and was unfriended by 26 people
I wonder if that's a record for a time not being within 2 weeks of a US election.

At some point I plan to go back to facebook and launch a "real" campaign on my page. Reach out to those on my friends list who are silently hurting and don't have anywhere to turn
Nice idea

Lightsout

There is an option to unfollow friend without unfriending them.

So you are still friends, but you won’t see their post anymore.

That would be a less agressive way to push them away without offending them

crazyk

SF Supporter
I have(had) a good friend who hasn’t talked to me in a few months over something that normally would be minor but she had just had a baby and was hormonal I guess. She unfriended me a few weeks ago and blocked me and I’m devastated. Hasn’t happened before.

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I gave up and started to click unfollow instead of unfriend but when it comes to extreme situations that they think is perfectly acceptable like abusing animals or dogfighting. I nope right out.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00