Friends and drugs, how it's not worth it.

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by PressedIn, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PressedIn

PressedIn Well-Known Member

It's been a while, it's so long but it's 2 years in the making, read if you got time.

Since I was little I've been "best" friends with my friend (picking random name) Steve. Steve and I always hung out with each other after school, we met in elementary school and know each other to date, 8 years later. The past 2 or 3 years have been rough, once we hit high school together we did go separate ways a little, but whats filling that gap are drugs.

My friend is like "most teenagers", he smokes pot. He's lied and said he hasn't smoked in weeks or months, or only a little, but based on the stories I keep hearing it's every other day, and it's a lot. Since he started smoking I've noticed he's changed for the worst. Over the summer around midnight I found him passed out on my front porch, I asked him what he was doing and he responded with "I tried to open the door but it was locked, I didn't want to knock and wake your parents so I went to the back of your house and tried to open your windows and get, but I got tired and went to sleep here." He was laying there for 2 hours.

Steve mostly stopped calling me or coming to my house to hang out, like we use to years ago. He comes over or calls only to ask if he can get a ride somewhere, or to borrow some money for drugs. On other occasions he comes over when he's too drunk or high to go home, and can't have his mom see him. It's truly sad because his father recently died, and he was the main financial support for the family, yet instead of being responsible he pisses away hundreds of dollars a month on drugs. He got a job not to long ago, but was fired for being high. He resorted to stealing an $1,200 paint ball gun from a friend and tried to sell it on ebay.

I sat him down one night and explained that not only I but others have seen a change in him for the worst. I told him not to fall back on drugs and abuse them like he did after his father died. I've been thinking of sitting him down and saying once and for all "You aren't my friend anymore, at least not until you start acting like one." I want my friend back, he's not seeing what I see, his mother can't support herself, and her three kids alone, not to mention the oldest one is in college. We're seniors in high school, next fall he'll be going into college, and I think that'll be the breaking point of our friendship.

I hate what people turn into, it's so unfair to leave someone in the middle-of-nowhere just outside what use to be friendship town. I can't say it's worth it anymore, to bother having him around. Advice?
  2. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

If you are his best freind, maybe he will listen if you talk to him about rehab?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.