Friends Distructive behavior & I Dont know what to do

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by PandorasToybox, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

Hi everyone

So some people might remember me, others probably dont even know who I am. But quicky little background story to kind of help give you an idea to why Im having hesitations with the situation I need help with.
    Ok so prior to this summer I had spent the last 2 years in a severe downward spiral of depression to the point I abused medication & after many breakdowns ended up in psych ward. I spent the summer changing my life, moving on & getting on the road to the life I wanted. I struggle w/ PTSD from what happened in the psych ward & Im very VERY careful to avoid triggers.

So what I need help with is this... a friend of mine from high school (he's a year younger than me) recently switched over to my college. Like me he's been pressured in performing at high levels in athletics & is very open (like he pretty much brags) about abusing medication. I've tried telling him to go talk to a school counselor or to our teacher but he's not taking this seriously & I remember being in his position & I DONT want him to end up like I was...especially not in a psych ward.

So I guess Im debating going & talking to our professor (who is a psychologist & tells us that if we need help or are in a crisis to go see her). I know he's over 18 & I'm pretty sure that limits what can be done, but I dont know if that should stop me from going? I'm not sure if they'll do anything?? I havent been on this side of the fence before... Ive always been the one in crisis, soooo any ideas??

2. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

I should mention to..or explain the reason why I gave my background & why that was of importance & why Im so lost trying to figure out who to go to is that it is triggering & Im offering him support & he's taking the situation as a joke.. & the longer I have to stare his problem in the face, the more triggering its getting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.