friends' opinions

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by jetsabel, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jetsabel

jetsabel Member

well, I just fought with my ex-boyfriend (which means the world to me) again. He doesn't understand when I say I can't stop. I'm trying so hard but I just can't. And I really want to, but he doesn't believe me. And I don't know how to explain... make him understand.

What does your friends/significant others/parents/whatever says and/or thinks about your cuts? Is it complicated for you too?
  2. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Have you tried printing some arcticles? He probaly isn't awared of how serious and "deep" this problem can be.
  3. mixedemotions

mixedemotions Forum Buddy

Although hardly any of my family members know i SH (only my brother), a few of my friends do know, and this is only becoz i got sick of hiding them at college and then i found out that some one else in my class also SH. It made me feel not so 'unnormal' to think i wasnt alone and that if i needed their was one else to talk to about it apart from my brother and boyfriend.
    We had a 'discussion' about self harm in class and i'd say that 80% just couldnt understand why I did. They all told me their thoughts and some were pretty shocking. One even said that it was 'stupid' and 'weak'. another told me it wasnt going to help so i should just jump infront of a train.... yeah! great way to help me there bud!

But any way. I tried explaining why I did it, and how it was the only coping method i had that WOULD work no matter what. None of them understood it.
  4. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I guess I'm lucky. My sister has a Ph.D. in psychology so she's pretty non committal about it. I think most people are just freaked out by the act. Maybe they think we wouldn't have a problem hurting them since we do it to ourselves. Either way, its nobody's business but our own.
  5. grinded serenity

grinded serenity Well-Known Member

none of my family members know i cut, 3 people total know i cut. one is my best friend, and the other 2 are people that live thousands of miles away. and ofcourse most of the people on this site.. but whatevs about that.

my best friend has had (she said) this problem with friends 5 times before with 5 different friends. she says its bullshit that i cant stop, that its not an addiction, etc. she tells me to just stop but she doesnt understand when i say i cant. it kills me because i know she just cares and i stab her in the back like this.. guh.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.