Friends with Anorexia

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Viro, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

Before I make my post, let me explain something about myself.

I suffered from anorexia for years. Today is my 56th day since I finally overcame it (hopefully once and for all). It was a massive struggle for me, pitting myself against my concerned friends and family.

A friend of mine has begun exhibiting behaviours that are indicative of an eating disorder. He frequently skips meals. I broached the subject with him yesterday, and he admitted that he feels like he's fat, when he really is not at all close. I'm wondering, what should I do? This is someone who I feel compelled to help, before this terrible conditions consumes him.

Does anyone have any advice on how to do this? In the past, my experiences with this issue have revolved around me finding ways to deprive my body of vital nutrients, and I am completely new to the idea of trying to pull someone out of the hole I have just recently emerged from.

Thank you.
  2. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I'm in a similar position with my sister, only with her, it's a long term abusive relationship and alcohol.

What I know is, that like your friend, even though she might be actively in self destruction right now, the methods she's using is a type of survival for feelings she cannot manage, and what she is doing helps her.

Your friend's eating disorder, is most probably the very end result of a lot of emotional turmoil- and drawing attention to that emotional turmoil, rather than the eating as such, might be more help than lets say, giving out lists of the "risks of an eating disorder."

I'd suspect, that person would be fragile emotionally, and dislikes some of his feelings and judges himself harshly for having them.

You could:
    -Offer him a time and space to talk about what's on your mind here, and leave it up to him if he wants to.
    -Offer him an ear which is non-judgemental, which will be difficult seeing as you've personally experienced anorexia, it's harm and how it effected you. But I can remember, being preached at never helped me.
    -Encourage that: it's perfectly okay to have the feelings he has, and how he is reacting with food/body, is because he's struggling, and there is nothing wrong with struggling.
    -Show him any options when it comes to emotional support, counselling and therapy. I'd say this is key, as emotional awareness, working on self acceptance, would help any fast spiralling down, in terms of self-harming behaviour with food.
    -Talk to him about risks, or giving him some solid information on paper about looking after oneself, the way the body works in terms of how much food one needs, and the importance of regular physical checks, regardless of how much he weighs and looks, if he's b/ping, or restricting, and exercising.

I hope that was helpful. Also for you personally, look after yourself, protect yourself and don't get sucked into someone's hell, if you feel you can't cope. You sound like you're doing amazing with getting better, I'm there myself- and I found other people's struggles when I wasn't well, a huge trigger, I couldn't be around people for long, who were in active eating disorders or drug dependency, for my own health- so take care.
  3. abrillgreen

abrillgreen New Member

Anorexia nervosa, frequently referred to artlessly as anorexia, is one blazon of bistro disorder. More importantly, it is aswell a cerebral disorder. Anorexia is a action that goes above out-of-control dieting. A being with anorexia generally initially begins dieting to lose weight.
  4. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

Do you really expect to sell pills with that?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.