Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by dhtvyr, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhtvyr

dhtvyr Member

I truly want to die, have decided that it is what I want to do, but am faced with one uncertainty.

My best friend, let's call him James(name changed), claims and vehemently threatens to follow the act and kill himself if I were to kill myself. I am afraid that he is going to heed his word and do so, and I am failing at changing his mind or convincing him to promise to do otherwise. I want to end this so badly, but I do not want him doing anything stupid because he really is a downright amazing person... How do I convince him that this is what I truly want?
  2. This is only my opinion, so let it count as such-

I don't think you are going to convince someone that close to you thats its ok to let you go. They will see you as irrational, upset, moody, any number of things. His threat is a way to hold on to you even if its only for one more day. Some people do kill themselves when they are grieving and are unable to bear the pain of someone leaving them behind. He must be terrified at the prospect of living in a world where his best friend does not exsist. Its scary to think that one of the people you trust the most and love the most is willing to just walk away and leave you standing there begging them not to. Its a hard pill to swallow. So if you think you are going to talk him into giving you his blessing and let you go- i'd have to say it most likely will never happen. You and only you can decide what road you will take in your life. Wether that is to get help, live with the "what ifs" or go through with it- no one can do anything for you you wont do for yourself.
  3. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

I have actually said this to someone before and other people aswell. The reason i have said it is i know i won't be able to handle anyones death. They have actually said the same to thing to me over and over again.

I had 2 people today saying they was gonna die if i did. The reason people say these things is to make them think. No one wants to hurt someone in that way. In my opinion saying something like or having someone say it to you just shows how much they truely care. I doubt very much you would be able to change their mind. I know the consequences if someone close to me died.

I truely think theres no way to convince him otherwise :hug: i truely hope you can reconsider and stay safe.

Sorry for not being much help.
  4. dhtvyr

dhtvyr Member

I know the feeling of losing someone: I've lost people to suicide before. I don't care if I'm hated for what I do, I just do not want someone to possibly give up their life because I took mine. I can't do that. I just can't. I can't bear to kill myself if I am constantly reassured that I will be followed. But, I really don't feel like I can take more time on this world, I want to go...It's just incredibly sticky in every sense.
  5. ace

ace Well-Known Member

I understand where you're coming from and the pain you're suffering and what your friend said.Why do you want to take your own life I understand about depression please talk to me my friend I know you're in pain.
  6. Erebos

Erebos Well-Known Member

Such senseless sentiments. See what happens when you choose to attach yourself to the people of this world? Bound by these obligations, you cannot be free. Let them go. Rid yourself of these feelings for them.
  7. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Bullshit. Attachments to others, compassion and love are what make us human. Embrace them. Take the good with the bad and live your life. How boring would it be if we knew exactly what was around every corner?
  8. Erebos

Erebos Well-Known Member

What's so great about being human? The person wants to be dead. Polar opposite goals call for contrasting strategies.
  9. Viper

Viper Well-Known Member

Everybody dies. Maybe he wants to die too? You can't assume he doesn't want to.
  10. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Sure everybody dies, which should make it easier to embrace life with all it's ups and downs, knowing how temporary our stat here really is.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.