Friends???

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by RainyMood, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RainyMood

RainyMood New Member

Hello!I am not sure in which section I should post this thread but anyway here it is..How do you make friends?
    Not where you find them(although I would like to know that too) but mainly what you must say to someone when you first meet him..This question may seem a little childish but I would like to know some guidelines..
    Thanks!

2. Robin

Robin Guest

To be honest I'm not sure of my own guidelines on how to make friends, mostly I try to be kind to people who I would like to call me friend, it also helps if you share some common ground, something to talk about maybe or maybe just a shoulder to lean on. Don't neglect yourself while you're being their ear to listen to, you need support and deserve it too.

3. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

I have no friends so I'm not the best to give advice.

I suppose you can start off by doing small talk, talk about the weather, sports, current events, etc. Try to find common things you both enjoy. Be a good listener, thats really important and I'm sure you're good at that. I suppose let them talk about themselves more than you talk about yourself?

And I know its quite hard, but ultimately, you'll also have to be yourself, even if you think your not that great and boring and all that.

4. no point

no point Well-Known Member

I'm not good at making friends or even keeping them. I would suggest joining some kind of a club. If you have hobbies, I would guess, by joining those clubs, you could make a lot of friends there.

5. philio

philio Well-Known Member

Myspace is a good place to meet friends, specially since you can search for people with similar interests. But I do agree you should join some clubs, but only clubs for something that interests you, you shouldnt have to pretend to be interested in something.

However, I'd say good friends should come naturally, dont try to hard. I met my best friend years ago because of some daft little joke i made.

6. Erebos

Erebos Well-Known Member

Making friends is not formulaic. But getting involved with the community is a good start. Volunteer, join clubs, get a part time job etc. and find people who share your interests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.