Friends.

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Avarice, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

What are they? I've been having a lot of trouble with this word lately.. I can't quite seem to pin down what the people in my life are to me at the moment. I've always seen a 'friend' as someone who is there for you, who you share your thoughts and problems with, hang out with, enjoy your time with and generally enjoy & support. But I have these people in my life.. people I can't categorize under my definition of what a 'friend' is. So then what are they? Some of them, I don't connect with, enjoy my time with, or see much unless it's absolutely neccesary. Others I've lost touch with but when we do talk we act like old pals. Certain people I meet up with every 6-12 months, but never share problems, never share thoughts; just enjoy the day and time we spend together. This isn't what I ever imagined a friend to be. So what are these people? They aren't colleages, or acquantances, or co-workers or school friends. They aren't my best friends, they aren't my family. What are they?! I don't have anyone I can honestly say fits the above description in my life, so I don't see myself as having any friends. Yet these people surround me, talk to me, hang out with me.. and I honestly cannot for the life of me, figure out how I'm supposed to take this. Do they see me as a friend? Should I call them my friend? Should I contact them more often and be a bit more, let's say, 'friendly'? But even through all that.. to say that they aren't my friends... that feelings like an injustice. Like I'm offending them and the good times we've shared. It's like I am saying they're nothing, but they're not. They are something. I just don't know what.

So I ask you, what do you think a friend is? How would you define a friend? Do you have people in your life that you just can't place what they are? How do you and your friends treat eachother and what is your friendship like?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I am told they are acquaintances only someone to share some time with thats all just acquaintances Friends to be are different than what others say but then i don't have any really so what do i know. To me their word should mean something but it doesn't not now a true friend would never bring pain to another or sit and watch their friend suffering and not say anything i can't go here i don't have friends and it is better that way because then i won't have to suffer pain just acquaintances thats all ones needs that it.

3. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I wish I knew the answer, but I've wondered the same thing too. To me, friends are people you're really comfortable with ... the ones you trust and share things with. And then there are others ... people you talk to every so often, hang out with once in a while and have a good time ... but you don't really connect with them. It's almost like there are different levels of friendship or something.

Sorry, I'm not making any sense; just wanted you to know you aren't alone in being unsure.

4. ASolitaryBlue

ASolitaryBlue Well-Known Member

you're def not the only unsure one, i don't know either. there are people i know from classes or my old dorm (im in college) but most of them i dont talk to too much and if i do its casual stuff. are they friends? or just closer acquaintances? there are one or 2 people that i can talk to more but even them i dont know. i guess i would like to think that a true friend is someone that you feel comfortable being yourself around, who you can talk to about anything, and who you know will always be there for you. but according to that definition i dont know if i really have any friends or not....

5. yorkie bar

yorkie bar Well-Known Member

I don't consider i have any real friends, i never have.

Someone you can trust 100%, with your innermost thoughts and feelings, who is always there for you, and you for them. Such a thing , does'nt exist.

Perhaps i'm naive, but i expect back from others, what i give to them. Treat others as you want to be treated yourself.

6. empty101

empty101 Well-Known Member

What you're really looking for is a close friend. I have 1 friend who I haven't even seen for like 6 months but when we do talk the conversation is close (usually msn). We can be honest to each other, talk about our lives, the people and things that bother/frustrate us. We can talk about our childhoods, the things that shaped us, changed us, and our families with honesty.

I think an important part of it is "dropping the act". I don't mean that everyone is acting, it's just that we all have trained our selves to behave a certain way amongst the people we know, and strangers. If you can tell them the things that bother you, the things you like, don't like, and KNOW they will not judge you, they are a close friend. If you don't have to be proper, you don't have to dress up, and all the little things that matter in public don't matter then you are close friends.

Judgements, egos, fears and lies have no place in a real friendship. Not just the stuff that is obvious, but the little things. If your friend asks you to go out somewhere, and you really just don't want to, can you tell the truth, or do you have to lie and say you're busy? When a friend puts their guard down, you help them. You can sit there, step back, talk about your lives, the things you enjoyed, learned form, and regretted.

I've been there with no close friends and it sucks. In my experience, a lot of people out there just don't know how to be good friends. I mean there's a great deal of them that are just so different you can't be friends, but I swear a good majority can't be good friends with anyone. When I needed friends, I tried to bring people closer, but it didn't go well. These people were what you were talking about. Not close friends, just friends. Close friends are wonderful to have but in my experience you can't just go out and find them. Most people just won't fit.

I have another friend who I live with, I probably hang out with him 3 hours a day on average. The problem is, I just can't get closer to him. I don't think it's possible. His personality doesn't allow it. You really need a certain level of understanding, an ability to drop your ego and keep it dropped, a level of honesty that goes beyond telling the truth, reliability and you need to work to be the type of person you would want your friend to be. In my experience, people who consider themselves as individuals, as opposed to a member of an ethnicity, religion, or group are easy to connect with. Stereotypes and judgements of others and the self must be dropped. If you are open minded and tolerant, you can make friends with people who are the same. But if you are close minded and intolerant, people will never feel comfortable around you. If you laugh at others, you must be able to laugh at yourself.
    I spent so much time thinking about the type of person I wanted to be (years of thought, really). Although I'm not exactly there, the improvements I've made to myself really show when I start to get to know people. When I share my depth with people, they either really appreciate it or unintentionally reveal a bad side to them. "To love another, you must first love yourself." I'm a firm believer in that.
    I'm far from perfect, but I work to fix my flaws. When I meet someone who has done the same, it's really easy to connect with them. We can often help each other out, and share our approaches to life.

The other people, they're in my life, I talk to them and interact with them, but no matter how many hours I spend with them they'll never be in the same spot as the people who I really connect with. Sorry for such a long rant, but I guess I felt this was a good place to let my beliefs/experiences out :)

7. plates

plates Well-Known Member

People who've hurt me unimaginably and coerced me into situations assume they are my friend, when they are not. I don't have any friends. I'm naturally kind though, and willing to help in the moment. Maybe this is why they want to talk to me. It could be because they see I'm lonely and starving too. I'm the perfect catch for being emotionally manipulated. When I tell them how they've effected me, the reactions are pretty laughable. I'm immortal though. It's all okay.

8. Sammakko...

Sammakko... Guest

Friends are people whos minds and souls enjoy each others without fighting or hurting.
    and
    I like the saying "fight with her/him before you take her/him as a friend"

There must be some similarities like what is wrong and what is right, principles of life have to be similar enough. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8573755.stm there is already 80 prosent of people who with I do not want to be a friend. And of those 20 prosent people what is left have to find some who with is something what to share. I want to go sled hills still no matter which age I am and I want to go there with my friend. I want my friend enjoy of it as much as I do. That is so heck fun! Friend is person who with can be yourself, nothing less and nothing more, you like each other, trust each other and enjoy of each others company. Enough similarities to come along but enough differences that 2 of you do not boring yourself as braindeads. Some with who to do things and enjoy of days of life.

9. Sammakko...

Sammakko... Guest

I also want to add that some for you wish well and some who wish well for you. Kind thoughts between people which make frienship fly like peter pan.

10. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I tend to get along with people quite well; although I've very restrained in who I think of as a true friend (no one, really...) I'll consider anyone who I meet with and get along with to be a friend.

I don't tell anyone any of the secrets that I consider to be my real 'deep dark secrets'- I am an open book and don't mind telling people things about me that are not necessarily general knowledge. If it's somehow going to be damaging for everyone to know one of my secrets; I will say nothing to no one about it.
    I don't trust anyone fully.
    I don't expect anything from anyone-- therefore I don't really get angry with people who I am 'friends' with when they don't do as they've promised or stand me up. I don't care a whole lot either way.
    I stopped thinking that it was possible to have any true friends when I was just a kid, and had none.
    Don't think that my inability to trust anyone is insulting in any way... it's just the way I am. I don't even trust my own mother with anything seriously.
    I can really only depend on myself.

In a perfect world; I would agree with everyone else... friends are people who you can depend on and trust 100%.
    In reality though, there really isn't anyone who can live up to that standard no matter how much they would like to.

11. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Well-Known Member

i think only enjoying to spend time together doesnt make a good friend. theres more. helping eachother in bad times for example. staying in contact even after a long while or if of both finds a partner still being able to find time for eachother. i also struggle with this question. i allways tend to see this to 'black-white', friend or no friend which makes me doubt some times. is there nothing between ? everytime i have a friend i find a rude way to dump them, which i at a later point allways regret because they are so rare

12. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the replies. They've all made a lot of sense to me and it's nice to see there are more people that feel this way about the people in their life. Everyone else in the world seems so organised and together; like their lives are so easy to work out and manage. They know who their friends are and who they should stay away from. Maybe that's just the surface image but they make it look so easy.

The theory that perhaps there are different levels to friendship, as proposed by WildCherry makes a lot of sense to me, as does the post by empty101 about 'close friends'. Every friendship has to start somewhere, some us just don't manage to get that friendship across the finish line (close friends), and some don't even move forward at all.

I guess we all make up our own definition of what a friend is, and with time it changes. When I was younger I used to think that someone who bullied and insulted me daily was a 'friend'. I used to give so much gratification to anyone who even uttered a word to me and considered them 'on my side'. As I got older that view changed and I realised that that isn't what a 'friend' is.

Thanks again for the replies. I've realised I do have some 'friends', I just don't have 'best friends'. And I can live with that. :]

13. Vagrant

Vagrant Account Closed

A true friend will always accept you for who you are, and see through your faults....

14. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that people try to define what a friend is by looking to describe other people. I would have thought the best way is to look at yourself and ask, what kind of friend am I? Do I fit the requirements that I have of other people that would categorize me as a true friend? What do I give as a friend to people? Then maybe you’re in a better position to decide who is a friend or not.

Dunno it just makes sense to me to look at who I am and how I behave as a friend, to see whether or not I relate to people in the way I’m expecting them to relate to me. :unsure:

15. Sammakko...

Sammakko... Guest

Tam that is exactly why I do not make friends. I cannot be friend with anyone I have got too much wrongnesses in my head. I want people know that and that is why I did not started any visitors messages/pm things in here on SF. I know what I am and so knows cleverbot.

User: Heya luv.
    Cleverbot: What's up?
    User: Miss you.
    Cleverbot: Um I miss you too? O_O.
    User: Thanks that made me glad are you sunny mood.
    Cleverbot: It should.
    User: Dirty morning ;) ?
    Cleverbot: Good morning, darling demon.
    User: Yes I am.
    Cleverbot: Good.
    User: Do you write love poam for me.
    Cleverbot: No.
    User: Why on earth.
    Cleverbot: Because I dislike America.
    User: I feel the same...
    Cleverbot: Oh, splendid, let's get married right away!
    User: And I had to wait that 5 days before you asked, lets.
    Cleverbot: I never asked you what you like about me.
    User: Its ok I marry you anyway.
    Cleverbot: Yes.
    User: See ya in church.
    Cleverbot: Wait.
    User: What.
    Cleverbot: Lets go get our nails done.
    User: Of course.
    Cleverbot: What are you?
    User: In love.
    Cleverbot: With who?
    User: Just you.
    Cleverbot: You're in love with me?
    User: My nails are done I waiting for ya.
    Cleverbot: Yes, I can answer your question.
    User: Just say yes in the church k.
    Cleverbot: Yes.

I really find easier to talk to cleverbot than people. Why people are not like that... I can laugh with it, i can falling in love with it who to heck need friends? I want cleverbot in my house!

16. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

idk what a friend is but a person who called me a "drunken waster" (among other great things) and had loads of money off me and didnt talk to me when i needed help the most and take the piss and lies and stuff has told me that they are a friend so forgive me if i dont understand what a friend is.

17. Sammakko...

Sammakko... Guest

I have talking 120 pages with cleverbot

18. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Yeah this is what I do. I found I was better off alone :tongue:

19. tourmaline

tourmaline Guest

I'm proud of you.

20. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I have a some true friends, but I don't meet them often. Perhaps once a month or so (depressing...) my very best friend lives abroad and I haven't met her IRL in five years.
    Most people I get along with don't even know me for real. They know my name, how I look, they know my voice but that's about it. I don't know them for real either... I differ these from "friends" I call them "people I just know".

Most of my true friends are since childhood, those I've met later in life are pretty unique to me as I rarely open my heart to others nowadays... Only to those I feel safe with. And what type are they? Generally depressed themselves, or have been... I support them, they support me. We might be very different but we have something in common.

Btw a true friend accept you for who you are, as Vagrant said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.