1. What is your theory on friendships and depression?

I think I am a socialable person, but I never connect with people deep enough to make friendships. It's like I can't let anyone close. But it's not only 1-1 friendships, i've never really been a part of a friendship circle.

Perhaps my mental health issues push people away.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Depression does push people away one does not have energy to input into any relationship i think takes all ones energy to just get up

3. W Miller

W Miller Well-Known Member

I have social anxiety, and this prevent me from making friends in real life. I don't leave the house all that much these days. I'm hoping to make friends with people online. Even this I seem to have trouble with.

I'll try to answer your question.

I feel if you need to hide your depression around your friends, they are really not worth you time anyway. I only have 2 long term friends I can be myself around. I prefer honesty. If you feel awful, don't pretend to be cheerful.

Only advice would be this, please make sure you always listen to your friends issues - be a good listener. Always ask "how are you" and mean it.

4. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I think Ulysses Grant said it best about the gist of friendship:

"The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity."