From hating humanity to advising them

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by feathers, Sep 9, 2010.

1. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

I just fucking hate the world. Like, seriously, how can you people just skim past and ignore status updates about people who are clearly very unhappy, posting that they feel alone, or that they feel like a horrible person, or that they're missing a loved one that they lost, and then go and post meaningless shite as if you haven't just witnessed and ignored the fact that your so called 'friend' is going through a difficult time. Some friends I have.

Or maybe you're are just too wrapped up in your own world to give a flying fuck about what anyone else is going through. To be fair, this is very probable. People don't really give a shit about others unless they are getting something out of it in return. Your friend is going through a hard time? Why comfort them, when someone else could be doing it. Maybe you just don't feel close enough to the person to breach such a subject on their unhappiness, but then again, if you were a situation where you felt like you'd rather take your own life than continue to live, you might appreciate a few words of concern from someone you didnt expect to care that much. But again, that's just another example of you not wanting to give unless you receive something in return.

Or maybe, maybe it's just that you don't believe that it is possible for one of your friends to be feeling this way. You hear about suicidal teenagers on the news and on the internet, but it's not really real to you. Real people don't have these feelings. Your friends can't possibly have anything wrong enough in their life to drive them to want to end it. Or, at least that's what you think, because you've never bothered to ask.

And those who have bothered to ask, or those who I have confided in, most of you just take it in your stride. Maybe you think if you ignore it it will go away. Maybe you feel, as above, that you don't want to help someone or offer support unless you are getting something in return. Well, I imagine the guilty you'd feel when it was too late, and when I was gone, and you'd realised how fucking obvious it was all along, and you'd wish you'd done something when you could.

But what can you do to help a suicidal person? Well, we need support. If someone trusts you enough to confide in you their feelings of depression, of hopelessness, of self-harm or of desire to end their own life, don't just ignore it. Accept it. Ask if there's anything you can do for them. Let them know that you are there for them. Be there for them if they need a shoulder to cry on, or someone to talk to on the phone at four o'clock in the morning when they can't stop crying. Ask them if they're okay on a daily basis, ask how they're feeling, let them know that you care and are there for them. Don't pretend like it isn't happening, because even if you're not very close to them, the fact they've confided in you and you are ignoring what they have told you is more hurtful than you can imagine.

To those who have done the above for me, and trust me, that is not many people, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I doubt I'd be here today without people like you to support me, and you do a brilliant job of it too. Sometimes you might feel like you aren't doing a good enough job, but trust me, just the fact that you are there, and the fact that you put up with me when I sometimes act a bit crazy and impulsive, means more than I can put into words. Don't get me wrong, I value each and every one of you that has at least made one supportive comment, at least asked once if I'm okay when I've posted a dodgy status or said something to worry you, but to those of you who offer their continued support, it would be impossible for me to begin to tell you how much it means to me, and how much I value your friendship.