From religious point of view, can you still go to heaven when you committed suicide?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Arnold Lee, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Arnold Lee

Arnold Lee New Member

I've been thinking about this for awhile.
    Some people suffer too much that they just can't continue anymore.
    So can people still go to heaven even if they commit suicide?

Thauoy likes this.
  2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

If God is love, as I firmly believe; then he wouldn't condemn anyone who found life to be intolerable.

Thauoy likes this.
  3. Huw

Huw Well-Known Member

I dug this essay out of my files. It's a study in what is called suicide or self destruction from a Biblical point of view. There is a distorted view of the Eternal Almighty that focuses on love while denying His Holiness, justice and sovereign rule over all that is often displayed in wrath. In fact Pauls description of what is called the gospel, but is better understood as evangel. Says that,"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;". You'll notice that the word love is missing in this verse that describes the evangel.

Is suicide the ultimate expression of free will?

What we call suicide would be the ultimate expression of free will, but it is not.

A man decides life is not worth living and so seemingly ends his life? I use the term seemingly, because that is what it is.

Martin Luther did err in this matter and gave glory to Satan as the cause of death in a young lad. We know from Job that Satan was given much power over Job, but was warned, ‘’guard his soul’’. If power of death had been granted Satan over Job it would have been 2 chapters and not 42.

I once heard a preacher say that the scriptures are quiet on the matter of suicide and so there was no bar at which to judge the matter. I didn’t trust what he was saying and did a study. He was wrong, there is a bar, and in scripture there was never a suicide or self-destruction.

Not only are the birth and the circumstances into which a man is born predetermined. His life and manner of death is also ruled over and brought to a conclusion. The means of the conclusion are not in the will of man, but rather in the will of the Eternal decree.

There are a few men in scripture that wanted Yah Veh to end their lives, but He never fulfilled their desire. What may have seemed to be suicide/self-destruction was destruction by the Almighty.

To remove the Sovereign right of the Creator to fulfill His threat, ‘’thou shalt surely die’’ and prevent Him paying ‘’the wages of sin, which is death’’, by His own hand is to deny Him the Sovereign right to do so.

Payday is not the choice nor decision of the worker of iniquity.

Self-destruction is simply not possible. When the Eternal hands a soul over for destruction there is nothing that can stay His hand. And likewise there is nothing that can force His hand.

When someone dies there is one that has the cause of death in His power. The first cause of life is the paymaster at death.

Destroy and all related words appear 538 times in scripture. If anyone would like to deny the Almighty of His right in destruction I would strongly suggest you first read those verses.

The purpose of this OP is to ensure the power and glory, in all matters, are seen and rejoiced in whenever we are witness to His judgments. 1.8 people a second leave time for eternity. The word accident doesn’t appear once in scripture.

The word judge, judgments and all related words appear 759 times and are worth a study.

4. iServe

iServe Member

Thanks for asking this question. Suicide in my opinion is just another sin. Sin is missing the mark, falling short of the entire truth, dishonoring the will of God. Failing to keep the 10 commandments or Golden Rule. We all sin in life. "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." from telling a little white lie to taking a life. Sin is sin (equal) in God's sight.

Our sin has consequences. Some consequences may be more severe than others. We may lose something or someone. We may lose our freedom, We may experience deep hurt or pain. We may experience something life altering, etc.

Our sin need to be forgiven, pardoned, removed, or paid for. That's were Jesus comes in. He saves sinners from the punishment of our sin filled nature. I asked Jesus to be may savior and Lord when I was 19 and I'm 49 now.

Our sin is dealt with by the blood of Jesus and because of the grace of God. "We are saved by grace through faith, it's not by our works..." We can't earn our way to heaven. Jesus made a way for us to get there. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. The only way to the Father is by me."

Our Salvation isn't anchored in our conduct or behavior, it's a gift may possible through our relationship with Jesus Christ. Jesus paid it all and made it all possible for us to live a powerful and victorious life.

I know life has its problems and pain, but the Lord Jesus wants to walk with us through our dark valleys. He is our will to live and power to fight and when we can't he is our rest and peace. Please give Jesus a chance to pour his grace (living power) into your life daily. God bless, take care!

5. suzi

suzi Well-Known Member

I have heard my minister say that the circumstances of someone's death do not change his eternal destination. So, if someone is a Christian/saved before he commits suicide, the suicide does not change his eternal destination. My minister was saying this specifically to people who were concerned about loved ones who had committed suicide. As someone who has daily suicidal ideation, it was a comforting thought to me in a way perhaps he had not intended.

On the other hand, I once heard Charles Stanley say that suicide was the ultimate rejection of God's grace. That makes sense to me too.

Maybe we just need to be spending more time talking to God (about this)

6. suzi

suzi Well-Known Member

I think the disciple who betrayed Jesus for money,( Judas Iscariot?), hung himself. I know there are Christians who believe he is in hell and others who believe he is in heaven.

7. Emily K

Emily K Member

I have been wondering this for a really long time...if I would be able to go to heaven. Obviously that is a different issue, but I would hate to be immediately disqualified just because of how I died. I think those who ask for their sins to be forgiven and believe in the Lord''s redemption will go to heaven, one way or another, but then is throwing away God's greatest gift to you, yourself, a truly eternal, unforgiving sin?

8. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Those who believe in reincarnation, believe that suicide means the next life (as in being reborn) will be difficult as one has not completed what they were sent to accomplish.
    I don't know (obviously), but surely there are considerations taken into account.
    Someone suffering terrible mental or physical torture can not be held to the same account, as say, someone who just gives up.