From Sci Fi to SyFy

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by pit, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Waddya think of the Sci Fi channel mispelling their namesake? I don't think it makes a difference, they still have the same programming. They should've acknowledged Forry Ackerman's death, though. He coined the term Sci Fi.
  2. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

I think its really stupid. They should have left it. It made more sense. It's like they're trying to talk 1337 or something. :tongue:

Oh Em Gee we r teh SYFY!!!!11!!11
  3. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

a crappy station by any other name is still a crappy Whatever they call themselves ,the content is too often so low budget as to be laughable.I hear they are working on that
  4. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

They must have been taken over by vampyre womyn.
  5. rosky71

rosky71 Well-Known Member

i wonderd why they did that and i texted chacha and they said its because there getting new programming that can expand to all groups of people and the name change symbolizes that.

now if you ask me i think it looks stupid i liked it the way it was before
  6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

SyFy is trademarkable. SciFi is not.
  7. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Expanding to all groups of people? Meaning showing the same crap as other stations; reality shows, dumbass sports, news garbage. I don't want to be all inclusive. I want this channel to cater to the select few who love sub par B flicks with 0 budjet. Even big budget with cheesy effects. I'd rather they keep their programming the way it is. If the new programming is not science fiction, what the fuck am I gonna watch?
  8. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

lol..I have to agree b flicks are better than the cess pool of reality tv and other such hogswine on tv these days.:biggrin:
  9. scorpio63

scorpio63 New Member & Antiquities Friend

Hooked on phonics strikes again!!!

Or; No child left behind, the dumbing down of America.
  10. Menchi

Menchi Well-Known Member

It sounds more likely that its to try and take away a bit from the stereotype that Sci Fi is just for geeks and losers and all that... SyFy looks different, and doesn't neccessarily have the same connotations (even though its pronounced the same).
  11. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

It reminds me of how TLC and Discovery have mostly sold out to reality television and 'mass appeal' subjects as opposed to scientific topics, largely for the same reason: appealing to a small demographic doesn't maximize profits as much as a wider audience does.

I don't mind the name change, however off it seems to me, so long as it's just cosmetic.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.