Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Kiggy, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiggy

Kiggy Active Member

I am beyond frustrated! I went to a new pdoc yesterday for a second opinion. i suffer from Bipolar disorder which has resulted in a terrible depression and very high anxiety. The anxiety is what bothers me the most. I waited 3 months to get into see this dr. I was in the waiting room an hour and a half. When I finally met with him he told me he wants to wean me off my anxiety med. He also discussed ECT which i am very against. He then discussed putting me back on Latuda which caused me to go manic and raised my cholesterol to almost 300. When I left his office he told me to come back in 3 weeks. Upon scheduling my follow up appointment I was told I would be seeing his nurse practitioner for follow ups. This is supposed to be one of the best pdocs in my area. I left there in tears.
  2. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I am so sorry, that is a horrible experience. He doesn't sound like one of the best pdocs in the area. Not very helpful at all. Stand your ground, make sure you get the medication and therapy you choose and schedule to see a new pdoc, as this one seems to not be very interested. I'm not surprised you are frustrated, I would be too.
  3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

"Best" when it comes to doctors and psychiatrists is very much a "in the eye of the beholder" term. With all medical and particularly psych the "best" is somebody that agrees with the patients philosophy of treatment. He may well have the best end results- but if he arrives at those results in a manner you are completely against (for example ECT as a more often used treatment) then he/she is useless to you. Basically, you need to search for a Dr that agrees with your philosophy and is willing to work within those bounds (and that puts a HUGE burden on you to self educate about your condition and all treatments available so you can actually participate in treatment planning and not simply be picking and choosing based on emotional impulse which is good or bad for you) OR you choose the Doctor with the best success rates and go with their program 100% deciding they are the Dr and you are paying them to advise and treat you based on many years of education and experience.

Seldom will you arrive at a good result by picking and choosing which portions of a treatment regimen you are willing to try by a piecemeal approach because then it is not a comprehensive program- it is simply a bunch of random things that overlap improperly or leave areas out completely. Is the same reason for not using 2 different Doctors to treat the same condition (which is in effect what you are doing when dictating to a Dr what treatment will or will not do based on "feelings- except one of the "doctors" lacks many years of education and experience and is clouded by not being objective in treatment approach. I personally loose faith in a Dr that changes their mind about treatment as soon as I question it. I expect them to be able to answer questions and provide and explanation of reasons for a certain course of treatment, but if they were to quickly change and say "okay then do this - and go on another tangent it would be proof positive to me they were guessing and experimenting and not relying on fact and experience.

Just not listening - ie with Latuda had bad results before- I would ask for a very clear "why when says had horrible results before do you think would be better results now?" is another issue entirely and time to just leave - not in tears- but happy that you discovered what a useless moron prior to spending months or years under their care.

I hope you find a Dr you can talk to, and if you go back to that office then a nurse practitioner (perhaps he has the great reputation not because of him but because has great people working for him?) that is capable and that you are comfortable with, to get the treatment you deserve :hug:
  4. Kiggy

Kiggy Active Member

Thank you Cicada! I lost a lot of sleep over this last night. Most of the pdocs in my area are against benzos. Yet I have friends that go to their regular primary physicans who freely prescribe zanax. They are not nearly as anxious as I am. It has been a struggle to find a doctor who has compassion around here. I feel like I am just a number. This past year i have gone through so much including two suicide attempts. I just want to be well so I can raise my daughter in a healthy manner. My poor child has seen me at my worst. She has consoled me through crying spells. She has been understanding when I just can't do the things I used to.
  5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

A pdoc needs to not only know medication but also how to listen and to care for their clients It is sad that somehow they forget about how you are a person first and you should be respected and listen to with care and compassion Perhaps you can find a different pdoc in your area one with people skills
  6. Kiggy

Kiggy Active Member

To make matters worse this pdoc doesn't even have therapists in his office! Until I find someone new I think I will be sticking with my old pdoc and counselor. It just really sucks getting my hopes up that I will find someone who will truly help me and care about me.
  7. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I hear you it is sad really when ones finally thinks things will change that they have found the help they needed when to be only really ignored Perhaps if you do go to next appt tell this psychiatrist how he made you feel and that you were hoping to have a doctor that would work with you not take over you
  8. Kiggy

Kiggy Active Member

This doctor also said he wanted to increase my dosage of tegretol. I went to the pharmacy to pick it up and the phamacist told me he sent in a decrease to half of what I was taking. So not only was he an asshole he apparently doesn't pay attention to what he is prescribing. Uggggg sorry to vent and thank all of you for your support. I feel so fortunate that I found this site. I am truly not alone in this fight.
  9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

No, you are certainly not alone in this fight. I agree with Nyjmpaster that the ''best'' doctors are in the eye of the beholder. In 2010 I went to one of my city's top doctors and she prescribed me so much anxti anxiety medication, I ended up having seizures and was actually put into a psych ward to get off the medication. She was a joke, I don't now how she even has the gall to call her a psychiatrist, she is a licensed drug dealer.

I am so sorry that you got your hopes up and that it did not go the way you wanted it to be. I think you are an incredible person with incredible strength and you can get through this and please know that I am always here for you :) Best of luck :hugs:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.