Fuck Christmas

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by TheWr0ngChild, Nov 6, 2008.

1. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

Who else is sick of all the twinkly shit in shops & the dumb jingles on tv already?

Christmas is a lie, kids these days think it's all about Santa (a lie it's ok to tell children apparantly then bring them up saying lies are bad) and fucking big plastic gifts. Half of the stuff people buy isn't even theirs, it belongs to the banks they borrowed the cash from.

Nobody wins at Christmas. People panic, thinking if they don't buy someone something expensive or send them a card, they "won't like them anymore". Christmas is about family, it's about crying children, arguments, revenge etc etc.

No wonder so many people take their lives at this miserable time of year.
  2. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

I won at Christmas a few years back. There was a mix up in the planning and I was "forced" to have two x-mas dinners. My waistline and belt buckle lost but all in all, I came out as the winner.:smile:
  3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Actually, suicide rates are fairly low [or at least not high] at Christmas

I hate the season, personally. It was a source of much stress when I was a child - not the gifts, just the family stuff. Getting together always ended poorly. It still does. I moved 2500km away from my closest family member. I'm finally living out my dream of skipping Christmas altogether.
  4. kenny

kenny Well-Known Member

Yeah, I start to get a bit low around the run up to christmas. I used to love it, coming home from school that last day, and poring over the Radio and TV times to see what was on TV over the holidays.

Now I just want to hide at the mere thought of Christmas. :sad:

Even with two small kids, I can't feel the magic
  5. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

6. A_pixie

A_pixie Well-Known Member

My family are full of brother who sleep with each others wives and yet the daft bastards still manage to sit around the same christmas table and make us feel awkward.

I don't like falsities either, the presents are nice, the alcohols ncie, but are my family nice? Not all the time!
  7. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

I hate it :mad:

I wish I din't really, but I have always hated it :sad:
  8. WOO-HOO!! Thank you for this 'rant', TW!!!!! Gawd, there's too much to say about it. Even if there is a trickle of any 'goodwill', it's merely in and among the oceans of schlock, unrealisitic idealism, and uber-shameless materialism. If you can't live that 'trickle' 24/7 for 364 OTHER days of the year, you've no business 'celebrating' the one.

I think it best I stay out of this thread...But once again, thanks!
  9. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I like Christmas, but I agree that it has become way too commercialized and meaningless. Kids only care about how many and how expensive gifts they get. But when it's between putting food on the table or buying some expensive presents, then it's rough. I like getting together with family over the holidays and enjoying a turkey dinner. :laugh:
  10. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

im usually working on xmas day, cos my job sucks, cos its usually us dealing with those on the wrong side of bridges or on edges of cliffs... but this year its my daughters first xmas so i wanna make it a good one..
  11. jam1e

jam1e Guest

My kids don't believe in santa they just think it's an excuse to wring me out of every penny i have!!!:laugh:
  12. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

I rather enjoy Christmas, personally .... it's lost the magic for me (all part of growing up, I guess), which is a shame, but I still like it for the memories it holds, and also because it's an excuse to gorge on food, give presents to folks who you care about and love, and generally give folks a bit of a hug and love :)

That said, Christmas can be a crap time for some people, as witnessed in this thread.
  13. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

I hate Christmas. But that's because my brother killed himself in december, so i will always link that time with him. :cry:
  14. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you TW but for me Christmas has one redeeming feature and that is that it is one of the two days a year I get to see my daughter and even though it is only for a couple of hours I would dress up like a reindeer covered in all the sparkley shit I could find if I had to. Those few hours are the most precious things I have and so I'm really looking forward to it. After I've seen her I usually head straight for the mountains to escape the rest of the 'festive period'.