fun exercise ideas

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by beautifuloblivion, Jul 24, 2009.

1. beautifuloblivion

beautifuloblivion Well-Known Member

I'm trying to exericse more, but I hate going to the gym. It's 100+ degrees here in the summer, so doing things outside is never much fun. I love to ice skate, but the ice rink here closed down. Does anyone have any suggestions on fun activities that are good exercise?
  2. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I love making up entire dance routines to songs. It sounds a little '9yr old girl' but it's really energetic and I have fun doing it. Even better doing it with a friend.
    Teaching myself routines on MTV or You Tube is cool also. Pick a video and just learn the entire routine in the living room.

Also Billy Blanks Tae-Bo is a lot of fun, you can probably get a cheap DVD of it from Amazon.
  3. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

got to be the dance mats. well fun
  4. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Oh I gotta second that, they're so much fun!
  5. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

yeah yeah. i third it. motion passed. motion carried.
  6. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Dancing works great for me as well. I definitely endorse it :)
  7. yursomedicated

yursomedicated Chat & Forum Buddy

put on some bob marley and you are good to go!
  8. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Rollerblading! Swimming? :dunno:
  9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

How about getting some exercise equipment for your home, such as a rower or bike?
  10. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Swimming is proven to be the best excercise in terms of cardio, lean muscle build-up, and calorie burning. The rigorous activity combined with the water resistance makes for a potent and effective combination. Plus it's fun and refeshing, and certainly doesn't feel as uncomfortable as a sweat-producing workout =P
  11. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Zurkhardo: LOL! I hadn't quite thought of it that way, but that is a major plus!

A practical exercise idea: If you live or work in a highrise, climb UP (and down) a few sets of stairs every day. (Actually, you could make it a habit to take the stairs, not the escalators.)
  12. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Do something you enjoy otherwise you'll probably not do it for long.
  13. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Try bicycling. I always preferred nighttime (with appropriate reflective gear and an inexpensive LED headlight/taillight) because it is much cooler, I don't need sunscreen and there is FAR less traffic to contend with.

Bicycling gives you a unique perspective of the same surroundings you just blow by in a car. It really is never routine or boring.
  14. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

You know I'm right.