Fun ways to keep in shape!

What type of activity would you do to help you maintain a more healthy lifestyle?

• A local team sport... maybe hockey or baseball? Something else?

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Go to the gym. Get a personal trainer or train at my own pace.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Join a class~ yoga, spinning, weight training...etc.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Continue to work out at home. Jog from time to time.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 17 38.6%

• Total voters

KittyGirl

Once I start working and have a steady income again, I would like to join a dojo or possibly an adult 'sports' team.
I think this would help me with my social skills as well as keep me in good physical condition.

So... what would you do? Would you join a team? A club? Go to the gym?
If money wasn't an issue and you could do anything at all... what would you be interested in doing?

~~~
UNDECIDED.
I'm thinking of joining the local roller-derby team. < Inserting some more team spirit and some good old fashioned violence would probably be good for a person like me who holds everything in and doesn't really get angry.
I used to study kickboxing and self defense in highschool and college. I would like to join a dojo and perhaps try out Thai Kickboxing.
It might also be nice to join an actual Yoga class at the local YMCA. If I kept up attendance, I may be able to apply to instruct the class and make some cash, too.
I live next to a mountain... so it would make sense to invest in some skiis and take the slopes from time to time, right?
I'm not so much an outdoors type person though...

Last edited by a moderator:

aoeu

I tried gymnastics and judo but promptly broke my back (twice.) I've been swimming of late but my zeal for it died after someone stole all my stuff, trying to get back into it. I really enjoyed gymnastics and might return, but I suspect it'll hurt my back a lot; need better painkillers (I can't make the damage worse anymore.)

Fortunately I work as a librarian in a leisure complex, so I get access to swimming facilities and a gymnasium for free. Not that I really abuse the offer though.

I think the best method to keep fit is jogging at night, but I will be starting martial arts aerobics hopefully. I practice a lot by watching old movies anyway so it should be fun.

i picked other. i am currently relearning my long lost and forgotten circus skills. no, really! i used to be awesome as a kid but not anymore... and i live in the country. i think that that's explanation enough to keep fit. though if i could, i'd take up fencing -- it looks so cool!

KittyGirl

i picked other. i am currently relearning my long lost and forgotten circus skills.
Oh, very cool! You must have a natural ability for that type of thing though-- it doesn't come easily to everyone.
As an actress, I've worked with a few contortionists and acrobats... and I am just in awe of them. 0__0 seriously... I can't even do a single cartwheel; I have no upper body strength at all and horrible balance. I get vertigo if I go up a flight of stairs too quickly XD
So that is awesome! Hopefully you'll keep it up and won't hurt yourself too much.

Remedy

Chat & Forum Buddy
Treadmill with my cat, it's a workout getting him off the thing. :laugh:
If money wasn't a problem I'd probably do tennis, dancing and swimming to keep fit. I think they're the most fun.

Datsik

Forum Buddy
Just go to gym, and train with a trainer.
Also, follow a healty diet.

I've been training for two years now.
I eat whatever I want, but in tiny amounts.

I'm perfectly toned. =)

Malou

Spinning has worked well for me. When feeling self destructive you can destroy yourself in spinning class and it won't leave scars but rather improve cardiovascular fitness. It makes it easier to sleep at night, and it sort of resets the brain when the mind is going in circles. High intensity running will probably do the same. For me it is difficult though to get it done when it's just me. If there is a class that starts at a certain time, it's easier for me to get out of the door than if I am just running by myself.

Lately my fitness center is offering zumba classes, which are great fun. I felt really stupid until I learned the steps, though. But that was worth it. I have a theory (totally non scientific) that when you begin to move in new ways, you also begin to think in new ways.

If I could afford it I would buy a roadbike and join a club.

whoaaxxsamm

I chose other; I enjoy playing Wii Fit. It's not the best exercise, but it gets you off your butt. Also there is an exercise,dance group called Zumba that I heard is quite fun.

I work out at home with videos sometimes.
I ride my bike.
Sometimes I go out to run.

If money wasnt' an issue I'd go to a gym or join a boxing class, or some type of martial arts class. I think it would be pretty wicked. Lol, I'd love to learn to kick some ass.

Aphorism

Currently, I'm avoiding running. But I go on long walks when I'm not doing track/cross-country. Other times I will do workout videos or yoga at home if I'm being super ambitious.

Hiking is great, but I haven't done anything serious since camp of two summers ago.

Daijou

I think hiking would be really enjoyable. Being outside and getting to see so much nature would definitely be awesome. That, and it wouldn't really cost too much, just need the proper locations for it.
Aside from that, I'd love to take up some sort of martial arts class or something like that. That way, I can always defend myself and get into better shape.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00