Funny Childhood Fears

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Youlleatamuffinandlikeit, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Youlleatamuffinandlikeit

Youlleatamuffinandlikeit Well-Known Member

Okay, don't laugh. But I am actually scared of clowns. And I mean really.

I used to have to sleep in the 'childrens room' at my nan's as a child. It was **full** of mannequins, procelain dolls and creepy clownlike things. They were evil. Needless to say, to prevent being eaten or worse, I got very little sleep at my nan's as a child!

What are some of your quirky fears?

2. alison

alison Well-Known Member

elevators & escalators
    the dark

I've gotten better, but they all still scare me a bit lol

oh - and spiders! But I don't consider that silly, spiders are ridiculously scary
  3. Youlleatamuffinandlikeit

Youlleatamuffinandlikeit Well-Known Member

Preach it, sister! lol ;)
  4. PiecesMended

PiecesMended Well-Known Member

Well I've been scared of elevators since forever but I'm now claustrophobic too so I can't even step foot in one.
    Quirky fear?
    When I was a little kid I was scared that if I stayed past midnight I'd turn into a pumpkin. (something my mum used to say)
    I was terrified of the prince of death or whatever it is from the watership down movie (the start of my hallucinating actually, I used to see it in my garden all the time and it wasnt my imagination at work)
    I'm also scared of clowns, who isn't?!
    These days I'm scared of technology... I didn't use internet or anything for a year before... I still won't watch TV but I can manage a computer, a phone and an ipod. I get paranoid about it and I am scared of microchips... Though that's not exactly quirky. :tongue:
  5. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

well... most of my childhood fears turned out to be quite rational and stay with me even as an adult.

like maybe... seaweed. (I drown once as a child because my legs got tangled up)
    and confined spaces (there's another horrifying story that has to do with being locked in a cooler and drowning)
    snakes- mostly rattlers (was bit twice by a rather angry rattler as a child)
    clowns (and again... I was chased around and attacked by someone who'd dressed like a clown for Halloween-- and they beat the living daylights out of me.)

and many, many more.
    I can say pretty confidently that I'm pretty much scared of everything.
  6. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Wet paper :cry: I don't know when it started and why. I mean, it is really weird isn't it? I am not afraid of it anymore but I still hate its slippery texture, its smell and everything about it. I avoid it as much as I can.

My brother chased me with kitchen tissue at Kindergarten because he knew I would freak out.
  7. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

this is the worst one because its embarrassing to say the least.
    when someones walking their dog on the sidewalk i have to
    "avoid them" without making it seem too weird. like walk back the other way.
    or walk in the far away grass. and i cant come over to peoples houses
    who have dogs..Its very embarrassing. EVERYONE has a dog I swear!
    I hate being a burden by asking if people can put their dogs away
    before i come over . xD

I used to be really afraid of in the pools and bathtubs..
    and sinks.. I would not go anywhere near the drains. lol
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2010
  8. Nyu

Nyu Well-Known Member

I could never sleep unless I had the blanket completely covering my head, cause I thought the ghosts would get me otherwise.
  9. alison

alison Well-Known Member

Oooh, I'm okay with bathtub/sink drainks, but pool drains scare me! I don't think it's entirely unreasonable though. My swimming instructor when I was little drowned when she tried to manually open the drain to an outdoor pool and got crushed by the weight of the water. It sounds like a terrifying way to go.
  10. foreverforgotten

Omg O_O whuut? For real??
    How did the water crush her? oh my god.
  11. vroomvroom911

vroomvroom911 Member

I used to be afraid that if i didn't get a hug and a kiss from my parents before bed i would get eaten by the thing under my bed

And Really who isn't afraid of Clowns?
    and I'm still afraid of my closet.
  12. 1112222

1112222 Well-Known Member

I used to be afraid of the Warner Bros shield.
  13. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

The dark, I always have been afraid of the dark, still am. I can't go camping alone because of this fear.
  14. Firelord

Firelord Active Member

My mother used to have the same fear of dogs. When she was in her early teens she was attacked by a Great Dane, bitten on the rear and only escaped the dog from crawling into a small place despite a claustrophobia.

Then she met Goblin, who we took in from a kennel after our uncle put her there when he got an apartment. Goblin, even before we owned her, had always been the one dog she was never afraid of. A seventy pound wolf like canine, one would think that this would be the dog that nobody with a fear of canines would ever approach. But for some reason Goblin clicked with my mother from the moment my mom laid eyes on her. When we would visit my uncle Goblin would always be around my mother.

At four years old Goblin was adopted by our family. Goblin was the sweetest, kindest dog you could imagine. She was also *very* powerful. She would pull me and couple of my friends up and down the yard on a sled. My dad was 6'5, 230 pounds of muscle and even then it was the dog doing the walking for the first few weeks.

One time my mom was home alone with my mother and a guy came up telling her that he had a part to deliver for my dad's work place... a place that was a couple of states away from where we lived. Before my mom could even say no to his request to use the phone, Goblin had planted herself infront of the screen door and had bridged the gap from happy family dog, into full blown aggression. Her lips were pulled back and she was snarling. The man ran back to his truck and drove away without hesitation.

Goblin would do this three times more as long as she was with us and never had any issues regardless.

She died at fourteen years old, almost a hundred in doggy years. Since then my mother has never been outright afraid of any dogs she has seen.

After working with other canines and people who have lost their fear of dogs from similar encounters, it's my experience and opinion that an unnatural fear of dogs can be conquered by the very animals the person is afraid of. They just need to find the right one.

As for my own unnatural fears as a kid? The monster in the closet. I got over it when I grew too big to fit into it. Until then the same dog that overcame my mothers fear made sure I had no reason to feel my own.
  15. foreverforgotten

Maybe.. ^^
    I'm glad she's over her fears..:D
  16. assek

assek Well-Known Member

same here ! i hate spiders.

and i hate elevators...but thats probably because i got stuck in one when i was little..
  17. Landlocked blues

Landlocked blues Well-Known Member

Bubbles, wrists and clowns!
  18. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

China dolls. If I see one, I almost become paralyzed with fear! I guess I started watching horror movies way too young :p It's their faces though.. I swear to god they follow you.. they turn their heads with yours and talk to you when nobody else is around. It's scary as fuck!
  19. vroomvroom911

vroomvroom911 Member

I have a friend who has a room full of china dolls, but they're all designed to be creepy little Japanese girls. I swear she has the scariest room i've ever been in, i don't know how she sleeps.
  20. Borrowed time*

Borrowed time* Well-Known Member

Cob webs
    Sleeping with my feet uncovered, i always think something is going to grab them from under my bed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.