Funny Rash! *Replies Needed ASAP Please*

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by ~Nobody~, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

Over the last half hour (that fast) I have developed a really weird, itchy rash pretty much all over my chest (which is a lot of surface area :dry:). I took an antihistamine but it's still spreading, even though I'm not scratching it. I have never had a rash like this before, I get eczema when I am stressed (and I am definitely stressed) but this is not eczema.

Help! :unsure:

Am about to phone NHS Direct but what a waste of time that will be. It will take me 8 hours to explain what the rash even looks like. I dislike talking about things like this on NHS Direct. Anyone have any bright ideas?

2. One who listens..

One who listens.. Well-Known Member

If you have a digital comaera and aren't photo-shy, take a picture.
    Otherwise, call a doctor, or even 911. Stress that it isn't an emergency, just that you are concerned about it.

Try describing it a little more? Is it just a fast spreading itchy rash? What does it look like? Little lumps? red dots? Do they stick up a lot, or just tiny?

3. ~Nobody~

Well I just phoned, they're going to ring me back in 15 minutes to an hour.

The website told me I have meningitis :rolleyes: How informative. It's no surprise we are a country of hypochondriacs!

It's certainly fast-spreading, it was very itchy but now it just hurts. It's reddish-purplish dots (lots of them) and it almost looks like my skin is bruised underneath them a bit. It's pretty much completely flat with my skin, not noticably raised. The skin feels hot. It isn't anywhere else on my body. That's it, really.

I have an exam in the morning, I want to go to bed, not wait 15 minutes to an hour from a phonecall from a nurse who will probably just tell me to forget it and go to bed anyway :dry:.

4. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Noddy, if you have any of the following, go directly to A&E:

Temperature
    Headache
    Light sensitive eyes
    Ache/pain in neck
    Or just feel plain fluey

5. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Indeedy, I suggest you screw the NHS helpline, get professional help by going to your hospital. With rashes like this you can't take any chances. Hope you're ok, let us know what happens. :hug:

6. ~Nobody~

Argggghh

I appreciate the help guys, really I do, but I do not have meningitis. I just spent ten minutes on the phone trying to convince them of that fact. Yeah, I feel too hot, because it is 28 degrees in this room. Yeah, I have been feeling fluey the last few days, but that is because I went to the Festival and partied hard on about 5 hours' sleep between wednesday morning and sunday night.

I don't have a headache, though I'm getting a blinking stress one :dry:.

It's stopped spreading, but it hasn't faded. She went into panic mode on the phone when I told her it doesn't fade under pressure. Well it doesn't. Surely meningitis is not the only explanation for that?!

Apparently a doctor from my local hospital will be phoning me ASAP. Apparently he/she will want me to go to A&E. This is daft. I don't even have a way of getting there, and I am not wasting an ambulance on this rubbish. Do I seem confused to you guys? :blink:

I do not want to go to hospital and be ridiculed by all the staff for thinking a silly rash was meningitis. I do not want to waste their time. Surely if I am symptom-free then it is not a problem...

I have an exam in a few hours, goddamnit.

7. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Nod you can indeed be symptom free and still have it..GET TO A&E DAGNAMIT!!!

8. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Hun, like I said earlier, the rash you described seems nasty and with your hot temperature and headache you can't afford to take any chances. Yes your temperature may be due to the heat in your room, and yes your headache may be due to stress but at the same time - it may not be.

I don't know if a rash not fading only means meningitis but it is a damn good sign it is. Sorry if I'm worrying you here, I just want to try and stress I think it is important that you follow the advice of the nurse on the NHS line and seek professional advice.

Yes it may be nothing, but we are talking about potential meningitis here and you can't afford to try and convince yourself otherwise. If you can't walk there then please get a taxi or get a lift of someone else - even if you have to wake them, do it.

As for your exam, we are talking about your health here and the invigilator will understand. If you get a sick note or a letter from your doctor then they can re-arrange the exam date for you or give you a predicted grade.

Please hun, don't dismiss this, get the help. You won't be wasting anyone's time. :hug:

9. ~Nobody~

Just spoke to the local doctor on the phone. He laughed and said it was probably an allergic reaction :laugh:. If I am dead or in intensive care by this time tomorrow then you can sue the hell out of him, but right now I am feeling very relieved, and exhausted. Bed is calling me, I have an exam to fail!

It's not fading at all but it isn't spreading anymore, which has to be a good sign.

Thanks for the advice guys, I genuinely do appreciate it :grouphug: I hope you don't think I'm being rude. :unsure: x x x

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2007
  10. Nuri

Nuri Well-Known Member

It's better to be safe than sorry, Noddy and you won't be wasting an Ambulance because the chances are that you might actually have meningitis.

Especially if you have any of these symptoms;

• High fever, sometimes with chills
    • Severe headache
    • Nausea or vomiting
    • Light sensitivity (photophobia)
    • Sound sensitivity
    • Neurological signs such as drowsiness or confusion
    • Twitching
    • Sleepiness
    • Opisthotonus
    • Irritability
    • Sore throat
    • Delirium (particularly in children)
    • Seizures (occurs in about 20 to 40 percent of patients).
    • Nuchal rigidity (stiff neck) (occurs in less than 50 percent of cases, but if seen, it is considered pathognomon).

Taken from Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meningitis

I know that Wikipedia may not be the most reliable source of information however they're correct about most of their information.

Please, get yourself checked because as I said before, it is better to be safe than sorry.

11. kindtosnails

kindtosnails Staff Alumni

Hope the doctor's right. Be careful, will indeed sue his ass if he's wrong. :mad: So let's hope not. :wink: Good luck for the exam. Positive thinking! :rolleyes: :arms: x

12. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Wondered how you were doing? Has the rash diminished yet? How are you feeling? I am concerned about you. Please let us know. :hug:

13. ~Nobody~

Hi guys.

Well I am still here, and can't help but feel a little let down. I had a dream where I never woke up (if that makes sense).

In all seriousness though the rash is about half as dark as it was now, and it hasn't spread to anywhere else. I have a banging headache but I have a feeling that's something to do with lack of sleep and the fact that I am about to go and literally fail my philosophy and ethics exam, which is the subject I am taught by my boyfriend's mum :dry:.

My neck is fine, I don't have a temperature, and I haven't been sick. I think I'm fine, or at least I'm sure I don't have meningitis! :cool:

Shit, I have to leave for school in five minutes. Arse arse arse...

14. ~Nobody~

Still not dead :dry:.

My mum reckons thats what her penecillin allergy looks like at first, so there's a chance I have developed an allergy to it what with all the penecillin they had me take for a year and a half. :rolleyes:

15. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

That definitely can be a possibility. You never know when an allergy will spring up. I hope that is what it is. :hug:

16. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

Hey, how did the exam go?

17. ~Nobody~

I don't know :sad:.

I made it all up from my general knowledge, so it just depends on whether my general knowledge extended to anything specific enough! :rolleyes:

Thanks for asking,

:hug: x

18. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I bet you did just fine. Let us know when you find out. That is if you want to of course.

19. ~Nobody~

I'll find out middle of August.

Don't worry, no doubt you'll hear about. It's going to depress me throughly :sad:.

20. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

:hug: :grouphug: :arms: We will love you either way :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.