Fur - yay or nay

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by wheresmysheep, May 25, 2010.

?

Fur - yes or no

1. Yes its ok

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Its ok second hand

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. No its not ok

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

Basically are you for or against fur?

Me personally I hate the way the animals used for fur are treated, and I think the way they are skinned etc is sick.
    But I wouldnt be extreme and just hate someone cause they wear fur, its a personal choice.

2. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I wear leather so I don't see why not. Oh, because I can't afford it. I bet it feels great in the winter. Faux fur itches...

3. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I own a beautiful full length crown mink coat. I inherited it from granny and I will not throw it away, it is worth approximately 10,000 dollars so not using it ever would be a shame (but I use it only for special occasions, not as a part of the casual winter outfit. I'm not the princess so to speak).

On the other hand, I would never order a brand new one...
    Most fur goods are produced in China nowadays, aren't they? I've heard that the animals are skinned alive, that is disgusting and I don't want to support such an industry with my money.

4. wheresmysheep

This is my kinda thoughts too. My nanny has a fur coat that she wanted to give to my mum but mum wouldnt take it cause its fur, so I want it, but my mum wont allow it in the house so I have to wait till I move out.

5. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I am anti-fur but if I inherited one I am not sure what I would do to be honest.
    Can you add a poll to this? I would love to see how the results pan out.

6. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I believe that second hand is the best if you really want real non-faux fur, instead of buying it new. Fur is very resistant so it could look brand new even after 10 years of not too heavy use.... And it is not as expensive either.

7. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

no every time to fur in my books. i wouldnt want to be skinned and turned into a clothing garment - thats a cognitive and thought out belief. animals i wouldnt have thought would want to be skinned and turned into an item of clothing either - IF they were capable of cognitive thought... but they arent - so i dont feel that i have the right to make a decision like that for them. in my mind its cruel, totally unnecessary with all the synthetic man-made material capable of being made these days and exploitative.

no - i wouldnt hate someone if they wore it. but i would think that they were making an error of judgement.

8. wheresmysheep

Poll has been added

9. Brandon

Brandon Well-Known Member

ha im the only person so far who voted "yes its ok"

10. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Nay. It's ugly. It's so funny when that fat snoobish woman gave me that look as if i'm gonna immolate her coat with my cigarrete.

11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Honestly, I see it as no different from eating meat and little different from eating eggs or wearing wool. Ugly as all hell, though. I don't see that you can reasonably oppose fur if you don't oppose meat. I don't eat meat, incidentally - but I don't oppose it.

12. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Coming from a native family; we respect and love animals.
    I've been taught that once an animal has been killed- hopefully not kept and then killed in a cruel way- all of the animal must be used... including the fur.
    So in that regard, yes. There's nothing wrong with wearing fur. It's part of showing your respect to the animal by using everything that you can.

In hollywood though... I highly doubt that there's any respect for the animal(s) that people are wearing; or the work that went into making the garment.

I have seen some disturbing documentaries about meat and fur factories that just make me sad... I'd never pour a bucket of paint on someone who was wearing fur though.
    I would prefer that people buy second hand. A Good quality fur coat can last a LONG time if kept and cared for properly.

13. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I am against the further production of fur. You can't do anything about the fur already in circulation as with another antiquated industry- items containing or made entirely of ivory. I wear and use leather items because this leather comes from animals slaughtered primaraly for food. I actually prefer vinyl or synthetic leather because it is not vulnerable to heat or rain which can quickly damage animal leathers.

I am not against humanely raising animals for food but raising animals in captivity in crowded and stressful unnatural conditions to be slaughtered- often inhumanely, to supply a demand for an unnecessary item of clothing associated with status and excess is wrong. Breeding dogs for profit to provide for human companionship or public service under regulated circumstances/humane society's approval is okay but "puppy mills" and the horrific conditions that occur in them are not.

Fur production provides a livelihood for some communities so I would hope there would be a slow phasing out of their industry so the communities can adapt. I am not for the PETA types who throw or spray red paint on a person's fur coat but I hope public sentiment applies enough scorn to the fur wearer that it becomes more of a shameful experience than a boastful display of status to wear animal fur.

14. daniel2

daniel2 Banned Member

I'm against WOOL :mad:

Nothing sexier than a shaved sheep :bleh:

15. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I don't agree with the fur industry; it's cruel, inhumane and ridiculous to me, to be honest. It's not something someone needs to survive. In fact, most who buy fur don't do it solely to be warm, but because it's a fashion, or a status type of look, which is one of the sickest parts to me... To be totally cruel, skin and animal alive, just to prance about with it's skin and hair to give the statement "I'm flashy and luxurious". Granted, I am a vegetarian, but I believe the fur industry is far more cruel and pointless. I would not attack someone for buying or wearing it..... However, I find it pointless and do not agree with it. It although it not my place to judge them for agreeing with it, just as it is not their place to judge me for not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.