Games and Distractions

Discussion in 'Forum News & Updates' started by NYJmpMaster, Aug 11, 2016.

1. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Just an update. Thanks to the generosity of donations this month we are in a position where we can move ahead with the plan to add some improvements to SF. One of the things we have been looking at bringing back for a long time is the games forum. We are considering whether to add to the forum or in the front part of the site so all can play. I am looking for the possibility of 2 player/multi player games as well (card games/checkers/ chess/ etc) so members can play with other members and use private chat to talk while playing - maybe it will help a few people be less lonely as well as give a distraction and little fun for any that enjoy games.

I am still reviewing options but wanted to let members know it is on its way and hopefully will be active before the end of the month. If any members would like to share ideas or thoughts on ways to set this up or what they might like, feel free to message me or post a message in letters to admin forum about your ideas and/or thoughts.

Thanks again to the many that have donated that is allowing us to use the extra to add new things to improve our site.

2. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Just wanted to add my thanks here to the people who have donated. Bringing back the games is something a lot of people have asked for - a lot of people use them to help distract when they are not in a mental place where they are able to talk, but need to do something to help with the self harm urges / bad thoughts. It hasn't been something the site has been able to afford until this month with the amazingly generous donations, so thank you so much - the more people we can help, in any way, the happier we will be about it :)

3. bobbob

bobbob Well-Known Member

This sounds great.
    Will it be possible for people to play and chat with person playing against? That for me would be the big attraction - relaxed chat over game of chess or whatever.
    Will

4. NYJmpMaster

That is the idea. I have been trying to get all set up as time allows the last 2 weekends- my skills at web design and integration are rather mediocre at best so I am slow because was to make certain I do not break anything in trying to add new features. Hopefully by end of this weekend will be up with at least most of the functionality but the idea is you can use the chat from the forum (some are not aware you can detach the forum chat as its own pop-out window) so can chat with anybody with an SF account while playing the games.

5. Kid B

Kid B Well-Known Member

Most forums have a games / timewasters section. You're saying SF had one before? Why did it stop?

6. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

We had a games section up until the forum was hacked and had to be rebuilt from the ground up in February.

7. NYJmpMaster

I have spent 6 weeks trying to get a reasonable one set up - unfortunately to this point have only found (for 2 player or interactive at least) games scripts that take people off from here to another site in a "window" then run advertisements -- I am not comfortable with either people being sent to another site, or for places that want to run advertisements in / around the games using our bandwidth and members for their advertising goals ....

total eclipse likes this.
  8. Kid B

Kid B Well-Known Member

Very sorry to learn hackers got into SF.

On the games front I know that chess, tic tac toe and one where you can actually draw stuff but I forget what that's called are popular.

Just remembered it - Pictionary.

9. NYJmpMaster

If you know where to get these games from so I can check how they are integrated please send me a link _ I am trying very hard to find any that are compatible with a wordpress framework and fully hosted on our own server without advertisements....

10. Kid B

Kid B Well-Known Member

I do know, I have seen them on Proboards but guess it is a different framework to Xenforo, ergo, may not work here. The availability of games made for this framework is limited? Of course we are able to formulate our own games like Hangman that can be played without graphics per se - other forums I have seen with endless non-games like 'count to infinity' - that's what to avoid. :D

11. NYJmpMaster

XENFORO is just the forum portion of SF - and would be a little limited. The front of site is wordpress which is the most common frame in the world- if you have a link for a site with the games on it send me link by private message and I will look and see how they are integrated and where from in the site code.