gangs in my town

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Darken, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

There are gangs in my town. Dangerous thugs. One group is called the northenio's and one is called the scraps. Kind of like a latino version crips and bloods. There is a asian gang too, forgot what they are called, but they are jsut as bad. They fight and kill each other, and even kill innocent people sometimes. For what? Im still not sure, its never been explained to me why these gangsters do this. I cannot find a legitimate reason why they do this, it is nonsensical to me. They make parts of my city hard to live in. The cops are always around.

2. Tara

Tara Guest

oh wow, that sounds awful....have you considered moving? id hate to leave my house if it was like that around here!

Luckily where i live theres no gangs as such, we have the groups of goths/skaters/emos that hang in town outside one of the supermarkets, then we have the chav/townies that hang around a few shops/the common area/the gardens in town (as in place not houses haha).... and they are all under 22ish. guess we're quite lucky.
    sounds like you live in a film!

3. Syd

Syd Guest

The past year I've been in this apartment complex where I'm practically the only white kid, almost everyone is latino or black. Tons of crime. There have been fights out in the street, car theft, and one of my neighbors on ground level was burglarized.

There was this one time I was loading some trash into the dumpsters at the end of the street, and this gang of about 8 kids is just standing off behind some trees there watching me. When I'm done, the group suddenly approaches (I thought I was about to be mugged) and guess what happens? They walk right past me and start going through the dumpster, seeing if I tossed out anything valuable. WTF?

Another time some guy in the parking lot kept asking me for a light bulb. No, I don't know why he needed a light bulb, but that's what he wanted.

I usually just don't bother the street people, and they generally leave me alone too. Still, I'm looking forward to moving out this July.

4. Tara

Tara Guest

:rofl: i dont know why but that made me laugh soo much! i love randoms!

im not suprised! whats the new area like?

5. SeemsPerfect

SeemsPerfect Guest

I bet I know why he wanted that light bulb!...lol :biggrin:

Top 10s
    Top 10 Ways to Destroy Earth

Destroyed by vacuum energy detonation

You will need: a light bulb

The volume of space enclosed by a light bulb contains enough vacuum energy to boil every ocean in the world.

Which is where you come in.

All you need to do is figure out how to extract this energy and harness it in some kind of power plant, then surreptitiously allow the reaction to run out of control. The resulting release of energy would easily be enough to annihilate all of planet Earth and probably the Sun too!

*edit* SOURCE: http://www.livescience.com/technology/destroy_earth_mp-1.html

Maybe the guy was a mad scientist eco-terrorist cell leading gang banger...jaja Hmmmm....you never know these days.

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  6. SeemsPerfect

SeemsPerfect Guest

On a serious note, I've found that most gangbangers are just followers who chose to follow the wrong people. Herd mentality and a show of weakness, not strength.

Sad part is that some of them aren't really "bad" kids. They just made horrible decisions. With the right influence some of those decisions can be reversed and they can go on to be productive citizens. Problem is that there are so few "right influences" or even people that give a damn.

Parents don't care. Schools don't care. Politicians only address it when it's politically convenient to do so. Law enforcement just wants to contain the problem and not get killed doing so.

Gang leaders and drug distributors know all of this. They show a poor, leaderless young person a few dollars and a "family" environment and kids gravitate towards that.

I STRONGLY believe in severe criminal punishment, especially as it relates to gangs. However, I also gotta believe in severe social and economic change. That's the driving factor. Government leaders recognize this but no one gives a damn until its convenient to do so.

7. jcat

jcat Staff Alumni

i liveright smack dab in the middle of gangland. there mellow here though. you've got the busters(nortenos), scraps(southerners), bloods,crips, and don't forget the afghan gangs too. mosstly they fight amongst themselves, and sell drugs. but where i used to live its kinda bad. oakland ca.

8. Adjust your attitude, know where you're walking, etc.

Don't ask for it.

I never had any trouble with them. Because I am very aware of my surroundings and when I have to I adjust my attitude, I do. I dunno if the fact that I'm nearly 6'4'' helps.

The only time I had any problem with them, and i'm not even sure if they were gang members, were when the person i was walking with, acted like a smartass.

I wouldn't wanna live in the US, particularly LA or NY, or South America.

Here, it's so rare for a random innocent person to get killed by them.

You're more likely to get mugged or killed by someone other than a gang member.

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  9. Syd

Syd Guest

I'm just going to chill out in the suburbs for awhile. Middle-aged mothers in minivans are somehow less threatening than groups of inebriated latinos piled on the back of flatbed fords throwing gang signs in the air and hollering at females. City areas north of DC have a high hispanic population, and there are areas where English is actually a second language. In DC, it's more common to be approached by african americans. Almost everyone smokes and drinks. "Ey young, you got a jack?" is a commonly heard phrase between strangers at gas stations and outside grocery stores. The city streets are also covered in potholes, so I'm afraid my shitty car is going to fall apart each time I hit one.

I'm considering moving to a rural area where rent is cheaper, eventually. Rednecks can be scary too, but as long as I stay away from their daughters I should be safe. I mean, most of my writing jobs have been done remotely over the net, so I might as well find a quieter area that's easier on my wallet. Nature and fresh air are nice. As long as I'm near the interstate it's all good. I like visiting my sister in Baltimore on occasion, and I have a tradition of heading down to the district for July 4th festivities.

I think this is probably what he was actually going for. ;p

Back on topic: It's good to know where you're going, and always take the quickest path between two points when traveling in bad areas. One wrong turn could end up being your last. Also avoid traveling at night if possible.

Also, Zohmygob - I agree it's nonsensical behavior, but it's probably all these kids know. I think growing up in certain poor families and communities can be really difficult. Their parents may be in and out of jail, or can't provide enough money because no one will offer them a decent job. It's either conform to the gang culture, or end up starving or being rejected by your own family and friends. I'd really like to see these kinds of environments cleaned up, it's no kind of life for anyone.

10. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

Sounds like some of you can relate to me, what im going through.

I disagree. we need to concentrate more on understanding and preventing them from happening in the first place rather than just use brute force. Forcing people to live in fear is no better. In some countries the punishment for crime is really harsh but people still commit crimes, why? Ive seen some really bad police brutality videos.

Criminals are usually very desperate or mentally unstable or both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.