Gay/Lesbian marriage...

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Xenos, Jun 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xenos

Xenos Well-Known Member

This is so scary posting in the soap box... it just is to me.. :blink::blink:

Alright well, I don't want a war between the supporters and anti's in this thread... I just want to know your thoughts/opinions on it and to gain a deeper understanding from both sides of the issue.

The thought of gay/lesbian marriage never really came into my mind until I read a few articles about it. I'm also not going to say where I stand on the issue because I feel I'm not informed enough to make a decision yet. and even if I am, I'm too shy. :mellow:
  2. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

im totally for it.
    my friend's aunt is a les. and shes married
  3. Rachael41

Rachael41 Well-Known Member

I personally am not gay/lesbian....but i dont have a problem with others who are..
    I think you cant help who you fall in love with...and if u do u fall in love and it happens to b with someone of the same sex, why should it matter? its your life.

I think that if gay couples wish to get married then they should b allowed to. I dont understand why people can judge them? Like i said they cant help how they feel :)

A couple consisting of a male and a female are allowed to stand up and declare their love in front of god, family, and always show public displays of affection. I feel that gay couples should b allowed to do so also, without judgement or persecution......

Hope i helped lol :)
  4. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Personally, it never occurred to me that they may want to marry until it started getting headlines.

In my opinion, I really don't see why it's such a big deal to the antis. Why the hell not? I don't care if they think it's an immoral lifestyle. It's not like they're going to just turn straight because some people don't like them.

I've been very surprised a few times by how much people I thought I knew hated gay people. As always, religion rears it's ugly head to cause problems.
  5. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

It depends on whether you are speaking of gays marrying according to the laws of the country or whether they should be allowed to marry according to certain churches. Big difference.
  6. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Live and let live.
  7. Xenos

Xenos Well-Known Member

religiously or not, I'd like to know why some people are against it though. Just simply because it's morally wrong, God ordained that man and a woman should marry, not the same sex, are the constant answers I get.

I feel like I'm missing something here...
  8. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Well, that's why the churches should have never been allowed to get their tentacles into the government in the first place. Now they think they own marriage. As soon as you start mixing religion with legal proceedings you've got problems waiting to happen.
  9. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

They're not bothering me so why should I care? I also agree with "live and let live". I wouldn't want anyone telling me I couldn't marry someone because of their gender. It's none of my business really, what other people do in their private lives.
  10. ItThing

ItThing Well-Known Member

What they're saying is, they kinda invented it. You can't have a modern marriage without one religious official or another, and most religious institutions see homosexuality as unnatural and amoral (although some religious groups within each religion are more flexible and tolerant). I think gays and lesbians today are asking for legal recognition of their right to me married in the eyes of the law, but that is a decision for the government, and their are too many religious conservatives in most states for the new laws to pass. It doesn't directly affect gays or lesbians but it's a measure of how tolerant the country is >_<. I'm for it by the way.
  11. Random

Random Well-Known Member

They most certainly didn't invent love and long-term relationships and loving bonds between people. But the way they act, you'd think they did.

But again. Attaching a religious ceremony to the legal proceedings of marriage was a terrible idea from day one. Personally, I don't even know why a gay couple would want to be married in a church. If I was gay and wanted to be "joined" with someone, I wouldn't want anything to do with religious folks. But that's what I mean. The churches have their tentacles all throughout our society in such insidious ways that it's kind of hard to avoid them.
  12. Anju

Anju Well-Known Member

I think it is a problem to argue gay/les marriage is right since it does most likely go against the religion of the church they will be married into...

I'm not against gay/les relationships or the whole civil partnership or whatever it's called idea in any way (quite the opposite actually), but it can't really be classed as homophobic saying that gay marriage is wrong since according to the religion it is. You have to understand you can't argue that a church go against it's own religion.

I don't find gay marriage not being allowed a problem, but then I'm not a fan or marriage in general :unsure:

I think a couple can live together happilly without a ceremony that at the end of the day could cost a lot more than it's worth...
  13. Obsessive

Obsessive Well-Known Member

It really doesn't go beyond religion - God doesn't like it, therefore it's sinful. It should be noted though that most of what Christians use to support discrimination against gays comes from Leviticus of the Old Testament, a doctrine which has some crazy stuff in it such as killing disobedient children, women being forced to marry their rapists, and babies being dashed against rocks. >.>
  14. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

I am for gay and lesbian marriages. There is nothing at all wrong with it except in people's minds.
  15. silent_beast

silent_beast Active Member

Everyone deserves the right to live their life as they please (without the interference of the Church). So I have no problem with gay marriage. Sometimes I feel this country (the United States) is a such a theocracy...
  16. Xenos

Xenos Well-Known Member

Pretty much everyone is for it? Okay, I think I understand a little better. Thanks all for your replies. ^.^
  17. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I agree that religions believing that homosexuality and gay marriage are wrong is not homophobic, any more than believing that not going to church on Sunday is wrong necessarily means that you hate people who don't go to church.

As long as religions are tolerant of the people involved when discouraging what they view as moral errors, then they should of course be allowed and even encouraged to develop a doctrine which follows and enforces their beliefs within their churches.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.