Geesh, I called in sick, AGAIN.

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by lachrymose27, Jan 21, 2011.

1. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

I think I've done this a few times already. It's only a matter of time before they tell me "You're not what we're looking for, pack your things and leave!" :poo:

2. black_rose_99

black_rose_99 Well-Known Member

Hi lachry

This same problem worries me a bit too sometimes. I usually feel too guilty to call in sick, but I have been late every single day since the New Year. I also missed an unrelated-to-depression hospital appointment this morning, which I NEVER do, and used the time instead to sleep in before going to work.

Have you been open with your manager about why you call in sick? I was surprised by how supportive my manager was when I told her.

:hug:

3. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

I had problems with this for 23 years until I retired on disability. The biggest problem is that some employers will use depression and absenteeism as an excuse to fire you. I have seen it happen many times. (You should have some protections with the disability act, but I would not count on it.) Do not tell your employer if you have any suspicion it will be taken badly. The one exception to this is if you work in a government job. Usually in government, you have some guaranteed protections.
    Good Luck

4. lachrymose27

thanks for the replies you guys. I called in sick again, but i am definitely sick today. I don't think iw ill make it in tomorrow either... i'm going to have to look for a new job soon it seems

5. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

Talk to your employer - you may be able to negotiate a later start to your day?
    Are you getting any support - therapy? Meds?

6. lachrymose27

No, i haven't received any counseling after I graduated from college. I kinda need to make that phone for the meds, i keep pushing it on the weekends but when the time comes, i never get it done.. thanks for the suggestion though.

7. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

It took a crisis to get me to get meds. Try and get to the doctor before it gets worse.
    I know it's easier said than done. X

8. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

Worked at my last job for 14 years and except for one major illness had almost perfect attendance for 13+years. Then when my condition got worse it became just so much easier to call in 'sick', then it got to the point I just couldn't handle it anymore and left, don't think I would have been let go but if things had kept up who knows.:mellow: Know it's real easy for us to say not to call in but really try not to, after a couple of times it gets to be too easy and who knows what will happen, became too easy for me, just look at how I did things and do the opposite.:huh:

9. lachrymose27

Thanks guys. When the time comes to be fired, or if I quit, then so be it. I'm not going to let that stress me out. Its just job-hunting again, life goes on. I just hope i can keep my anxiousness and nervousness and weirdness to stagnant levels.

10. Struggling-through

Struggling-through New Member

I have been off sick since beginning of December, mine is completely work related, however my doc wants me to go back the day after my new manager starts, so i emailed hr to see if I could make an appointment with them, and was told she will be nothing to do with me for a while!! I don't know what to do now, I feel sick at the thought of my current managers, manager coming out to see me as they have had a baby together,i know all he will do is defend her again, I don't know if I can face going back there..... I love my job and I am good at what I do as I have had awards! Isn't it crap how people can make you feel so bad...!! Do you k ow why you feel like you do? Is it work related or outside? I hope you can get help and sort things out xxx