General election

Who will you be voting for in the General Election

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob26003

IMO, they dont want ppl to vote. Not working ppl anyway. They want an uninformed, uninvolved electorate. hence our ridiculous medias.

Axiom

Account Closed
If you dont vote how can you sit there and complain when things go wrong??
Because, I believe regardless of who comes into power next, things will more or less flow the same way, minus some minor specific ripples that people will more than likely suffer 10 years later from.

Is there anyone in politics anyone here can say they believe in? Where are the people who are supposed to inspire us to unite and prosper? All I see now is "bandage" changes. There is no specific goal except to maintain the constant of now and hope for some minor progressive changes.

And Im not voting into a system where I don't agree or believe in the people and parties involved. Picking the best of the worst was never my thing. And choosing not to vote doesn't exclude me from complaining about the lies and stupidity of the people in power.

Shogun

I gotta say LOL at everyone who says their not voting.

If you dont vote how can you sit there and complain when things go wrong??
How can you vote when there's nobody decent to vote for?

They all cancel eachother out. Where one party is strong, it's weak in other areas. And vice versa.

Hache

If you cannot find a party to vote for it is because you are trying to be the Prime Minister yourself.

Surely, surely, you can find a party that benefits you as an individual. Every policy does not effect every aspect of your lives. We're only talking about the next 4 years as well.

Politics is so wide ranged you are not going to find a manifesto you believe every in. Infact within the partys themselves there is dispute, disagreement.

If you cannot find a party that reaches out to your personal needs, perhaps in health care, education, tax cuts, public sector, immigration, if you cant find a party for YOU as a person in this society then that probably means you're a university student who hasn't got a place in society, because that is me. There is hardly anything that matters to me right now as I have no place. Politicians go to universities and say they'll abolish tuition fees, always makes me laugh because if you are old enough to vote that has NO effect on you it's too late.

wastedmylife

BNP sounds like your typical right wing party

trust me, as an American who just lived through eight years of the bush reign of terror which almost utterly destroyed our country, I can tell you, thats not the way to go

What is amazing to me though, is that even your far right party, is for NHS. That just goes to show you how far to the right America has actually moved.

For the last thirty years the US has been following conservative policy. Reaganomics. And you see what that has led to.

Trust me, you guys have a great social safety net. keep it, fight for it. Dont become like us where 65% of the nations bankruptcies are due to medical. Where 1% of the population controlls 44% of the wealth. Where we have 10% of the unions we had in 1970. Where real wages have been stagnate for the last thirty years even though worker production, hours worked and corporate profits are through the roof. Where the minimum wage did not increase in ten years. Where we have the highest per capita murder rate and incarceration rate of any industrialized country. Where 25% of our homeless are veterans. etc etc

We have a deteriorating infrastructure and our students rank last among the industrials in math and science. Not to mention a huge national debt.

All these things are a direct result of conservative policies.

protect what you have. Europe is doing better than America precisely because it has more measures to actually take care of its citizens!

Dont throw that away by going right wing as a reaction to some wedge issue such as race or homosexuals or prayer in shools or whatever else they may use. What they will do is try to appeal to the basest and most vile human emotions, such as hate and discrimination and racism and classicm. Dont fall for it. Rise above it.
agree with this, right wingers are always wrong, I understand there are some problems in the UK, but voting for fascists is never the right answer

whywhy

Liberal Democrats for me. If they can bring in a voting reform I will be very happy. Then we won't have people in power without some kind of majority. I want to see politics changed so you can vote for who you actually want to, and not get your voice ignored.

Even if we get hung parliaments as a result, at least it will be representative of the people. :/

Oh, and I believe in scrapping/look for alternatives to Trident.

plates

I've been following this on R4, and a few other radio stations--and the latest thing is: these strategists or whatever you call 'em, they were saying: THE ECONOMY COMES FIRST DEAL WITH THE DEFICIT AND NOT POLITICAL REFORM, and yesterday a bunch of Lib Dem supporters or people suddenly unhappy with our democracy were yelling outside Westminister wanting a new voting system, (and to get a good deal with the Conservatives.). I just wanted to say: political reform doesn't only come with a new voting system but a new everything. Clegg is promising a new politics but what/when/how/where? And I don't like their immigration policy btw.

The people on R4 (the coverage being very different from newspapers like the Guardian, independent, times, tabloids) were saying no way, look at Europe and the markets, a new voting system comes later, a solid government/coalition to deal with the economy comes first. Thing is, people are saying the Lib Dems and Conservatives are not going to find middle ground- 75% of the Tories don't want to join with the Lib Dems- a lot of people voted in on the Tory side, were evangelical Christians when it came to things like abortion etc- frightening tbh.

So...any thoughts about a coalition? Or a new voting system? I voted tactically- I was playing the game of 'democracy,' because voting Lib Dems would be a wasted vote where I live. I heard a union leader saying they'd be massive strikes and protests if public spending cuts go ahead and voters realise they've been lied to.

AGA: Griffin came third I think in Barking? and 16 local BNP councillors got kicked off, and the BNP vote went down a lot, compared to previous years when it was rising.

I wish there were more Green MPs, if they were and they had any chance on getting into discussions in parliament and having a strong effect, I'd obviously vote for them as I used to. But I suppose the first Green MP being elected only this year is a good thing? :mellow:

Because, I believe regardless of who comes into power next, things will more or less flow the same way, minus some minor specific ripples that people will more than likely suffer 10 years later from.

Is there anyone in politics anyone here can say they believe in? Where are the people who are supposed to inspire us to unite and prosper? All I see now is "bandage" changes. There is no specific goal except to maintain the constant of now and hope for some minor progressive changes.

And Im not voting into a system where I don't agree or believe in the people and parties involved. Picking the best of the worst was never my thing. And choosing not to vote doesn't exclude me from complaining about the lies and stupidity of the people in power.

I agree so much with you, but I'm terrified of the Conservatives and changes to health and social care, and this year there seemed to be a way out of a two-party politics going on, so, at least there is change in some direction?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00