Get rid of a depression outbreak

Discussion in 'Strategies for Success' started by Dewonderland, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Dewonderland

Dewonderland Well-Known Member

Recently, when I had this rush of sad feelings crushing me down, I come here.

But instead of using the 'let it all out' (which is usefull thoug) to express this hurt I start by checking post of someone who yet hadn't had an answer to their own destress. And actually, trying to help others help me rationalizing my pain and also makes me feel less useless or at least less lonely.

I see everyone fighting but still coming here to find some strengh to go on.
    And those last times I didn't even felt the need to post some words on my own because I was able to find my balance again.

Let me know if you tried / did that one (and if it's a good tip for you)

Take care everyone !

Grey_Matter_85 likes this.
  2. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

It's hard to deal with depression as its a constant battle to beat with everyday. Depending on the level of depression you suffer it can vary from day to day. Sometimes, it's about trying to cope it hour by hour. Sometimes it about dealing with in various ways such calling a helpline or doing physical exercise. You need to surround yourself with other humans rather than been alone and suffering. I am not trying put a downer on depression or anxiety but speaking a personal perspective. Be safe and take care. I hope this helps you.

3. ChestnutMay

ChestnutMay Antiquities Friend

I totally agree with that it helps with my own depression to write to others who are feeling down. Like you say, it helps with loneliness and also makes me feel less useless in the grand scheme of things. And the responses are really interesting and often heartwarming - helps me put my own problems into context.

4. Bruces

Bruces Well-Known Member

I have it on a daily basis and can't seem to deal with it

5. Persephone2

Persephone2 Active Member

I find it depends on how low I'm feeling myself whether trying to help someone else helps me feel better or not. When I'm only a little bit down, it makes me feel like my life serves some purpose. When I'm very down myself, I feel like I need support, rather than "always" being the one who's supportive of others, even at my own expense.

I haven't been in this online community long, so I haven't experience this situation here yet. I'm in a peer support group in Second Life, in which I've experienced this problem. There seem to be a few people who dominate chat with their problems. When someone posts about their problems, these people take this as an opportunity to say how their own are so much worse. It seems to always be the same few people, so other group members probably get tired of hearing them and close the group chat, which of course means they can't see the posts from other people who might need help too.

A couple days ago, I posted to this group that I was feeling suicidal. One man IMed (private messaged) me and offers some helpful words. One of these frequently complaining people also IMed me, but I ended up helping her with her self-image and depression problems, rather than her helping me. While the guys's words helped me a little, my longer conversation with her largely negated the little bit of boost I had from him.

6. Williamstuckinarut

Williamstuckinarut Well-Known Member

Most of the time I feel miles away from other people's issues. If I try to help someone I go into robot mode and it seems I'm lying to myself by pretending I care or even understand. I lack empathy and it bothers me. I start an interior dialogue with another human I think is in need and I instantly feel heat rushes, pins and needles, head spins. The need to GTFO as soon as possible.

7. Chalcie

Chalcie Member

I felt I had a purpose when I help someone... It gives me a reason to go on with life knowing that someone needs me