Getting a Gym Membership?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Purple_Thorn, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Purple_Thorn

Purple_Thorn Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about getting a gym membership. To start working out and get healthier. I want to get one with classes so that I'm not just going to the gym, but I'm with other people and basically being taught and told what to do. (Which sounds super weird.)

Any recommendations, opinions, etc?

2. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Most gyms (generally the bigger ones) will have weekly classes for different activities. Before you sign up you can ask what classes they have and there will usually be a couple each day which if you are paying into the gym membership should be free to participate. Is there any sort of class you are looking for in particular? At the ones I have been to there have been spin classes, dance and yoga that I've seen while there.

If it's your first time going to a gym you will likely get an induction where a trainer takes you round the different equipment and teaches you how to use it all and tries finding your optimal workout routine. If you feel short of motivation you can use a personal trainer at the gym to keep you on track, but this is normally 1 on 1 and tends to be quite expensive. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

3. cymbele

cymbele SF Supporter

At my gym there is a class for seniors and basically any one who is slow.And I am slow. But I can follow the instructions whereas in the zumba and kickboxing classes there is little explanation on what the class is doing. I like the gym because it gets me out of the house and gets me some exercise which I desperately need. I would like to afford a personal trainer for a couple of sessions so I can learn some of the equipment but they only do 6 month or better commitment and I don't go to the gym that often.
    Good luck and let us know how it works out.

4. stream26

stream26 New Member

I dont like commercial gym and prefer workout at home

5. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

I used to always have a gym membership, but I stopped going simply due to my location. I was never big on the classes, I just kept to myself. One class I enjoyed though was spinning. You have your own bike, your own space and you still follow instruction. It felt like more of an independent type of workout.