Getting Attention

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Bigman2232, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

So many times when people express suicidal feelings or self harm people often accuse them of just doing it for attention. I think this is true for everyone but not in the way that those accusing think. Sometimes it may simply be to get attention because the person likes being the center of attention but more often it is not.

I do believe we all do things to get attention, except that it's attention in the sense of being a reason to be around. We visit this forum, leave physical marks, say certain things and act a certain way, not to so that everyone looks at us but rather to see if there is anyone that cares about us and to see if there is some reason to stay in this horrible world.

I know there are those that have severe social problems and prefer to be alone but I think most people want to know that at least one other person cares that they exist.

And as much as we come to the conclusion that death is the only way out, there is always that very little part that wants the world to give us that little sign that shows us we have something to live for.

I will be hoping for something, anything up until the very last second.

2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Much of what you have to say is true I believe. Even those seeking attention for the sake of attention may need help to some degree. People do need to know that someone else cares enough to pay even the smallest bit of attention to them. For some, all it takes is a kind word. Kindness costs us nothing. :hug:

3. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

Yet true kindness, unconditional kindness seems to be so rare. It just seems that the people who hurt the most and can't stand this world are the one's we should all be more alike.

Thanks for your response.

4. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

But it is there. I hope we can all be blessed with it at one time or another. Take care Bigman. You do have something to live for. :hug:

5. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

I dont know for the others, but Im not here to get some attention. Maybe I will, with my posts, but thats not the reason i have come here. Im here only because I think this its a place when I can say anything what I have to say about my life, and I know I will not be judged, I know I can find here people that can understand me.

6. Random

Random Well-Known Member

That's one possible theory. A theory that I've heard (and I think has merit) is that sometimes, suicidal people will say mean, nasty things to people who care about them. Things they don't really mean. But the reason they do it is they think it will drive everyone who cares about them away so they can wither away or die without hurting the people they care about.

Thing about suicide is that it isn't just one life. it can literally kill other people who care about the person. Suicidal people know (deep down) that there's nothing they can say that would make their loved ones understand if they actually did it. It would tear them to pieces and they know it.

7. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

This is probably the only thing now, which is still keeping me alive, since I lost hope.

8. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

Interesting idea..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.