Getting booted out of forum having to re log in

Sassy Cat

SF hugger
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I keep getting logged out of forum. I will be looking at something and then click on alerts and the system will sometimes make me log back in.

Karmitkurmit

King of the Hedge
SF Supporter
Yeah this happened to me yesterday; clicked like on several things and each time said "you can't do this unless you are logged in"...or something to that affect. It's done it before on my phone but tends to sort itself out. Any ideas all?

Karmitkurmit

King of the Hedge
SF Supporter
I have to log in every day and I have it set to remember me. Glad to see it is not a computer problem.
I think that's a slightly different issue, this one wants you to log in even everytime you like something but it doesn't last long. Have you tried the two step verification Witty? That keeps me logged in for thirty days and seems to help. :)

JmpMster

Owner Emeritus
https://www.suicideforum.com/community/pages/gettingstarted/#StayLogged

When you log in- tick the "say logged in until I log out" box so it is a non-expiring cookie and you will not be auto logged out. The only other time there is an issue is when you click links. If people put in a link that goes to the non secure site it wil log you out.

Links to other places on the forum need to be in the format "https://www.suicideforum.com/xyz/abc" the key part being the "https://www." If they do not have the s or the www (usually the issue is the s because instead of putting in the entre url people just copy form the www forwaward and the default preset on the link does not have the "s" then when you click that link the cookie that shows you are logged in will not work anymore. This is a security feature to protect members from phishing sites- but is also a pain in the butt when you are using the forum. You may be able to see parts of the forum because most of the forum is open logged in or not- but as soon as you click someplace that requires you to be logged in - like alerst or conversations for example- you will get the "you must log in first" notice.

On occasions links to other sites will also cause an issue. This is most common when you are sent to a site that is coded to not allow you to use the back button on browser to back out of the site- it erases the active cookies in your browser. It can happen on any link or redirect though that happens to use a cookie with too much in common or that overwrites the SF cookie on your browser and can happen with any site that uses a non-intrusive/expiring cookies like we do here on Sf (a decision made because we do not care what other sites members use and do not collect or save any data from members that use our site).

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Thank you @JmpMster I have had this problem recently as well. I click the "stay logged in" button. As Karmit said, it eventually works itself out. I'll have to remember to see if it is associated with a link in the future.

Karmitkurmit

King of the Hedge
SF Supporter
I kept getting booted out of the site when I post or even look in KK.. It’s like a worm hole or something?
I was just coming to report the same thing as I was trying to reply to your posted video there (awesome by the way), but it continuously kicks me out and I have to log back in, but even when I do that it then decides to not let me reply anyway. I think someone’s trying to tell me something :rolleyes:

Is it something to do with the thread or The Gathering where it’s posted? I’ll go and try replying to another thread in there and see what happens.

CodeX

Controversial Figure
SF Artist
Sending browser history might help to troubleshoot this.. Especially the page clicked from.. One link after and before it with time

Woowoo

SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I'm glad it's not just me that has problems with KK. Every time I go to comment, or even just like a post, I get a message telling me I'm not logged in. Weird :mad:

Freya

Loves SF
Admin
SF Author
SF Supporter
We haven't done anything to the cache. I think it is to do with there being like 4 versions of the site indexed at the moment - the htaccess file needs to be reconstructed. It is on my to-do list. I am sorry to the people this is frustrating!

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00