Getting Closer to Acting...Need Sleep!

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by jgibson, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgibson

jgibson Member

I haven't slept since Saturday night - 5 days. I'm at my wit's end and I'm afraid if I don't get some sleep soon I'm going to take my life.

I've always suffered from insomnia (and depression and anxiety) I jsed to take Valium for sleep, but became addicted so had to go through a painful withdrawal last year. Now there's nothing to help me sleep and I'm going through some hellish nightmare of spiralling anxious tension and utter exhaustion. On the edge of sheer panic.

I'm terrified of myself.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

This is interesting and I watched a program on insomnia last night. It had experts and sufferers on it and the guy who presented it and had done the research lived as an insomniac for a week. Doctors aren't acknowledging this problem unfortunately and their answer is to just throw pills at you but it just masks the problem and doesn't solve it. However, CBT has been recognised as a top treatment for treating chronic insomnia. It is a behavioural therapy that changes and alters our thought patterns so what stops us sleeping at night begins to resolve itself. You should definitely speak to your doctor about this and push for CBT. In the meantime ensure you exercise regularly, have lavender baths, cut down on caffeine and try and not do anything stimulating before bed that will have your mind racing such as watching tv, playing games, reading books etc. Another thing that may be helpful is looking into mindfulness. It is a kind of meditation but if you could try and get hold of a mindfulness cd and try it before bed and at any time of the day it may help you to relax. Another thing in rhe program that they mentioned was gently exercising your feet in bed. The muscles in your body contract and relax and can supposedly make you feel more relaxed. I hope this has helped a little and I hope you sleep soon.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.