Getting control of life?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by dzd, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dzd

dzd Well-Known Member

How do I break the habit of just wasting my time and sleeping for most of the day?
    I have a lot of work to do but I can't seem to do anything because I'm perpetually tired and unhappy. I occasionally think of suicide too.
    I know I keep whining about this, but despite making a lot of efforts, I don't seem to be getting anywhere.
  2. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

Opposite Action

...if we are feeling very depressed and low and like no one wants us around and we might as well just stay in bed, a way to act opposite to the emotions is to get ourselves up and do something (go for a walk, go to the grocery store, visit a friend, go to therapy, etc.). We are not denying our emotion, but we are challenging it by acting opposite to it. Instead of staying at home in bed, we are getting up and going out. We may not see big changes, but little by little we will notice changes in the way we feel.
  3. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Do you have any support and help?

I have just said this to two other people too, so I'm sorry for suggesting the same thing to you, but it has been coincindentally relevant.

I wonder if maybe setting small targets for yourself to achieve is worth a try because that can help to break the cycle. So force yourself to get up.

It sounds like you may also need a reason to get up. Sometimes it may seem trivial, but if you can find your own reason to get up, it can be very beneficial. The more you lie in bed, the worse you feel.

Datura's comment about Opposite to Emotion Action is also very good, and has provenvery effective for a lot of people, so give that a shot too.
  4. suicidal maniac

suicidal maniac Well-Known Member

Get a hobbie.
  5. dzd

dzd Well-Known Member

I have many hobbies, but I don't seem to have an energy to do much.
  6. dzd

dzd Well-Known Member

My family and friends have tried to help but I think they are losing patience.
    Thanks for the advice.
    I'll try to do what both of you have suggested.
  7. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

What makes you think they are losing patience?

They can only help so far because generally they don't possess the knowledge that professionals do. They also don't have access to the resources. Have you thought about professional help?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.