Getting "free" money from the government

If you were/are on government assistance, would you feel bad and why?

• Yes, I'd feel ashamed for leeching off the government (taxpayers)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Yes, having to go through such desperate lengths would destroy my self-dignity and pride

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur523

I've been on medical disability for the past few months now, and I get a check every month. I'm not sure what bothers me more: the feeling that I am "leeching" off the government (the taxpayers) or if it is the fact that I have no self dignity anymore.

What would bother you more?

wastedmylife

it is not free, it is people who are working, so people who are working are paying for you

also since the USA does not want to raise taxes on the wealthy, we are basically adding to the debt, which in turn makes the value of the dollar worth less and the price of everything goes up

Avarice

I'm on pretty much the same thing and definitely feel elements of both. Shame that I'm not doing anything with my life and that everyone else around me at my age is; and worthless because of exactly that -- I'm not DOING anything with my life. My existence is something that costs other people time and money and thus wtf is the point to my life other than to be a burden?

The worst I'd have to say is the latter, as if anything it only fuels the mental issues going on in my head which causes me set backs in getting better and thus prevents me from heading towards getting a job of my own.

Arthur523

The worst I'd have to say is the latter, as if anything it only fuels the mental issues going on in my head which causes me set backs in getting better and thus prevents me from heading towards getting a job of my own.
I sorta hear yah there, but for me it does help A LOT being able to have some sort of financial assistance. I struggle doing simple everyday things, and I don't feel like I'm ready to get back on a set schedule again and work. I think what would make me feel much better though is if I could sign some sort of document or promissory note that promises that I will pay back every penny that I received once I am financially capable of doing so. I actually read a news story a few months back about a man who gave the state of California $10,000 as repayment for when he was unemployed and on state assistance earlier in his life. He even included interest for like 20+ years hahah

Domo

Note, i am in Australia. But..

I'm sorry you feel that you are 'leeching'. It's simply case of you not being well enough right now and as a tax payer i am happy to support those who need assistance. I see it no differently than someone who has say, broken their back and are unable to work.

Just use this time to work towards getting better.

You are no less of a person and still a valuable being.

All the best.

i voted no. i've been on disability for bipolar and ptsd for 2 years now. before that i worked for 25 years. paid plenty of taxes, and never begrudged my $$ going to someone in need. now it's my turn to need something from the government. i figure it's only until i get back on my feet. i don't feel guilty.

jota1

I've been on medical disability for the past few months now, and I get a check every month. I'm not sure what bothers me more: the feeling that I am "leeching" off the government (the taxpayers) or if it is the fact that I have no self dignity anymore.

What would bother you more?
Surely this >> leeching" off the government/no work<< leads to this >>no self dignity<< Unless you are one of the millions of people around the world that think that Government money is free and dont mind living off other peoples work.

Lack of work drives me up the wall with worry and not having a job would destroy my self esteem. We need to feel productive

Lestat

Do you really think that if you stopped claiming It would change a thing? You still have pointless wars, politicians expenses that are far more than you get and tons more things that they waste billions on a month. At least your not a pointless thing, your claiming for a valid reason that I am sure is needed. Get out of this crazy notion that your robbing people, your not but the politicians do everyday and they dont worry about the tax problem until voting time.

Unless you are one of the millions of people around the world that think that Government money is free and dont mind living off other peoples work.
this is offensive. we paid our taxes for many years. we were all highly productive members of society before we got ill. we are not living off of other people's work. we are simply unwell. and trying hard to get better. that's why the safety net is there, for people when they are most desperate. like i said i never begrudged other people when i was working, why would they begrudge me now...

jota1

this is offensive. we paid our taxes for many years. we were all highly productive members of society before we got ill. we are not living off of other people's work. we are simply unwell. and trying hard to get better. that's why the safety net is there, for people when they are most desperate. like i said i never begrudged other people when i was working, why would they begrudge me now...
Social net for genuine cases is more than obvious.
My point was that anyone without a job, and there are many out there after this dreadful recession, become disenchanted and feel useless. Its very soul destroying not feeling useful.

Lestat

Social net for genuine cases is more than obvious.
My point was that anyone without a job, and there are many out there after this dreadful recession, become disenchanted and feel useless. Its very soul destroying not feeling useful.
And who are you to say who is ill enough to get it. If they are ill then they get it.

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi

jota1

And who are you to say who is ill enough to get it. If they are ill then they get it.

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi
I do not decide who gets what, the elected politicians do but I am a taxpayer and as I pay all my taxes I have a right to know where my money is spent...like every tax payer should do. I also have a right to know what my government is doing to my country. Money is not an elusive thing its the value given to someones work sweat and worry, every euro/dollar given to the state should be accounted for, should be spent wisely and have a decent return in value.

Ghandi was an Utopian, in principle the quote has merit, in practice we have to keep tabs on what the humans do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lestat

Most of your politicians spend more of your tax money on a meal than there people get in a week. You should worry more about the wars and money your country spends on torture than a sick person claiming money because they are sick. This is what the governments want. You fighting and moaning at each other while they run off with your money and commit murder.

I cant choose any of the answers, becuase I used to feel terrible for being on a governemtn payment, it took me a year to get on it, to just fill the form in and send it in, i just couldnt do it myself. But now im on it, im on it. If i could manage working and I know it wouldnt adversely effect my health I'd do it. In this country, alot of the people who are on the assistance's wether medical, or just job seekers, they are just druggies and do nothing but score every day, and unfortunately its not an exaduration, so me actually not being able to work I dont feel too bad, as I NEED this support, those people whould be the ones who are ashamed. not me.

jota1

Most of your politicians spend more of your tax money on a meal than there people get in a week. You should worry more about the wars and money your country spends on torture than a sick person claiming money because they are sick. This is what the governments want. You fighting and moaning at each other while they run off with your money and commit murder.
I understand what your saying and corruption be it passive or active plays a part in most politicians life. I understand and I am not criticizing people that are having hard times or are sick. I dont know whta tomorrow will be like, who knows I might need some government help. This is a social safety net its already there it already exists.

What I dont accept is abuse of the system or laws created by individuals that have no idea what the real world is like and that are part of the problem instead of being part of the solution. Its very easy to have a nice salary and a have a job thats safe and cushy and decide what to do with other peoples money (politicians).

Lestat

Very true. In the uk its a big problem. People don't work because they get paid not to. Its easy. But, we moan about them sooo much yet forget about the far more bigger funds we waste on war and duck ponds that our politicians waste. They tell us to moan about our own people and we do... So they get away with it because we fall for it. I say let the benefit cheats live their crappy lives on a small income if they want. We dont have enough jobs anyway. Its not like were that bad off if we can invade countries all over the world.

gakky1

Yes, I'd feel ashamed for leeching off the government (taxpayers)

I'm not working now, luckily don't need the money...yet, even so I would never rely on the government to support me. I worked for the Welfare Dept. for over 14 years, really know all the ins and outs of the system, true some really need help but the vast majority who get help are just lazy and use the system,:mhmm: the ones who feel as though others should support them are just shameful people,:grr: cut them off any support and it's amazing how fast they can get a job and support themselves.

Stranger1

Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend
I agree with Catherine.. I have paid my taxs every year up til I had my nervous breakdown.. So I don't feel guilty for needing help now..I've been on disabilty since '95 and my problems have gotten more serious as the years have gone by..I know I will never be able to work again.. I tried to work at an ALF but couldn't even leave the house for the interview..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$170.00
Goal
$255.00